Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to get out for a while today and found one cool piece of Silver. It is a 1925 Stone Mountain commemorative coin.
Some info from Wikipedia on the coin.

The Stone Mountain Memorial half dollar was an American fifty-cent piece struck in 1925 at the Philadelphia Mint. Its main purpose was to raise money on behalf of the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association for the Stone Mountain Memorial near Atlanta, Georgia. Designed by sculptor Gutzon Borglum, the coin features a depiction of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on the obverse and the caption: "Memorial to the Valor of the Soldier of the South" on the reverse. The piece was also originally intended to be in memory of the recently deceased president, Warren G. Harding, but no mention of him appears on the coin.

picture_2018_12_7_17_56_45_314.jpg
picture_2018_12_7_17_56_26_76.jpg
picture_2018_12_7_19_52_56_650.jpg
20181207_192043.jpg

You can tell a dozer, or equivalent, had mashed most of these little toys and other stuff. Just grass and trees there now.
That one unknown item is marked Sterling.

Thanks for looking!!

Upvote 37
Congrats on finding the Stone mountain Commemorative half. Finding silver halves is hard enough, let alone finding a Commemorative.

Thanks Ed. Much appreciated.

Now that is a really cool coin there!!!!!!Well done

Thanks Tommy. Had hunted this area before, pulling wheats and a few relics. Nothing too exciting. I thought I'd put my 6" coil on and give it a whirl. Glad I did. :thumbsup:

I've been wanting to buy the 4 Civil War related comm. silver halves. Grant, Stone Mtn., Gettysburg and Antietam. They go for $100 to $300 or $400 depending on grade. That's a great find. Congrats! Gary

Thanks! I would guess the way things are going....that would be a good buy with good returns in the future.:thumbsup:

OMG RV How can you even have that thing in your house? Something that states that Southern soldiers were actually courages and believed in their cause? I am afraid you are going to have to send that to the statue boneyard with all of the other taboo relics of this countries history. Do it immediately!
#metoo #getalife #canisayhowsickandtirediamofalloftheprotestinginthiscountry?

What a spectacular find. I also have never seen one of these. Had to make you proud when you rescued this gem from the dirt. Congratulations. Is this banner worthy? It should be.

They say the victor gets to write the history, but it's a shame when it's not the truth! War's not about right and justice. It's always just about the money!

Fabulous find Patriot! As a descendant of the 33 Va Infantry I'd like to have one of those. Jackson had so many unusual characteristics. When he was sitting still on his horse he routinely held his left hand over his head. Folks thought it was something health or religious related but it was just to keep the gnats out of his eyes. He also believed in "Black Flag"!

Best wishes and good luck!

Thanks! Some interesting information.
I appreciate your family heritage.

Thanks again!

We usually make a couple trips up the Valley Pike and do some relic hunting a couple times a year. Have several contacts up that way, one more would be nice. I'll PM you sometime if heading that way.

Last edited:
Wow that's a super cool find.

It just goes to show how the PC babies have changed the country. Not long ago we commemorated them, and today the PC babies are tearing down statues, changing flags and trying to erase America's history.

You beat me to the sentiment! 'Cept I call them PC Commies! Sadly, we're at a tipping point and I fear too much momentum has been gained to stop the toppling. There was a time I was bothered by not having children. Now, I am grateful.

Grease

OMG RV How can you even have that thing in your house? Something that states that Southern soldiers were actually courages and believed in their cause? I am afraid you are going to have to send that to the statue boneyard with all of the other taboo relics of this countries history. Do it immediately!
#metoo #getalife #canisayhowsickandtirediamofalloftheprotestinginthiscountry?

What a spectacular find. I also have never seen one of these. Had to make you proud when you rescued this gem from the dirt. Congratulations. Is this banner worthy? It should be.

Thanks trdking. Gotta love those #'s. My sentiments exactly.

Gotta say I can see where you get your user name by reading your signature lines. Awesome trd's up and out for those $$$$. #udaman!!

Very cool half! I've heard of people finding them coin roll hunting but not metal detecting. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Whyme! Never have tried the coin roll hunting before, though I hear it can payoff bigly if lucky.:thumbsup:

Congratulations!!! Great find! I paid $75 for one in very similar condition last year just to have one! I like the coin and even with all the detecting I do doubt if I’ll ever find one in 2 lifetimes! You did! Big congratulations again!

Congratulations!!! Great find! I paid $75 for one in very similar condition last year just to have one! I like the coin and even with all the detecting I do doubt if I’ll ever find one in 2 lifetimes! You did! Big congratulations again!

Thanks EdHartzel, those commemorative coins are pretty cool. The History on that particular coin after researching a bit definitely makes it that much more interesting. Good luck out there and thanks again.

Thanks Patriot!

I don't have any worthy permits. Any more I do so well at auctions and yard sales I don't have time to detect. Also like a lot of us older guys my joints are about shot. That's a pretty competitive business up here. I think some of these guys are wired into the planning commission and get there just a soon as the first path with a dozer.

Where can I find a better pic of your avatar? I notice that's the shield where she's holding both the sword and the spear! They took her sword away years ago. Sometimes I wish John Wilkes Booth had been a mute!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back