Found a Sherman Encampment - Civil War Hunting Partner Needed in Atlanta Area!

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone - this new job of mine is really interfering with my hobby. I miss this forum! BUT, I have made what I consider to be a pretty exciting find! After tons of research, and the help of the David Rumsey Map Collection, I've figured out that Sherman's 60,000 soldiers (Forget, Hell!) camped out in my neighborhood the first two nights of their March to the Sea on 11/15-16, 1864.. The picture below is their encampment. The ones that I've circled conveniently lie on some vacant/wooded county property that is easy walking distance from my house (my house is the orange dot). I can't find anything about this by just a general google search, so I feel like there is a fair chance it has hardly ever been hunted!

Screenshot 2022-01-26 093527.jpg

My son and I went out there last night for about an hour right at dark yesterday. I turned sensitivity all the way up and turned off discrimination on my Garrett 200. I quickly found a cache of very old nails (so brittle that they snapped). We cleared out a little more dirt and eventually found this chunk of lead (mixed signals - maybe other metal in there too?). The picture below is after chipping/scraping/boiling for a good while last night. You can see the iron exposed in the middle. Originally it just looked like a clump of dirt. I realize now that it's just caked-on earth/rocks that have been stuck to this piece of metal for so long it's become like one piece. NO IDEA what it might be a piece of - just junk, obviously - but based on how much rock/dirt is cemented to it, it must have been there a good long while. There is no evidence of there ever having been a house on this property. So I am fairly encouraged that this little find might have something to do with Sherman's encampment.

Would LOVE someone with more experience than me (or anyone, really) to come on out and explore. PM me if interested. I'm in the Clarkston/Stone Mountain area.

IMG_4490.jpg

Upvote 17

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like a road trip vaca is coming up in the near future for me!!! I would love to come down that way from MD for a good hunt. When do you plan on hunting? You should charge people a fee for coming down to that spot :laughing7: I have a friend who lives down in Georgia. They have a friend with an old farm. Maybe if I get a chance to take a few days off we can hunt both yours and her friend's farm!

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds like a road trip vaca is coming up in the near future for me!!! I would love to come down that way from MD for a good hunt. When do you plan on hunting? You should charge people a fee for coming down to that spot :laughing7: I have a friend who lives down in Georgia. They have a friend with an old farm. Maybe if I get a chance to take a few days off we can hunt both yours and her friend's farm!
Check your DM!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now that we all have a map to the treasure, lets see who gets there first :laughing7:
I'm 99% sure the area has been hunted . Not by me tho .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find, BUT, you gotta be outta your mind !! I have found several camps. BUT have never told anyone about them BEFORE I had hunted them extensively. There are treasures to be found, and they're yours, not everyone who shows up.
Tell one, he tells another, next thing you know, they are there digging while you're at work.
Be careful who you invited. Looks like cat is already out of the bag.
Yea I never told anyone where camp Davers was located .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone - this new job of mine is really interfering with my hobby. I miss this forum! BUT, I have made what I consider to be a pretty exciting find! After tons of research, and the help of the David Rumsey Map Collection, I've figured out that Sherman's 60,000 soldiers (Forget, Hell!) camped out in my neighborhood the first two nights of their March to the Sea on 11/15-16, 1864.. The picture below is their encampment. The ones that I've circled conveniently lie on some vacant/wooded county property that is easy walking distance from my house (my house is the orange dot). I can't find anything about this by just a general google search, so I feel like there is a fair chance it has hardly ever been hunted!

View attachment 2005868

My son and I went out there last night for about an hour right at dark yesterday. I turned sensitivity all the way up and turned off discrimination on my Garrett 200. I quickly found a cache of very old nails (so brittle that they snapped). We cleared out a little more dirt and eventually found this chunk of lead (mixed signals - maybe other metal in there too?). The picture below is after chipping/scraping/boiling for a good while last night. You can see the iron exposed in the middle. Originally it just looked like a clump of dirt. I realize now that it's just caked-on earth/rocks that have been stuck to this piece of metal for so long it's become like one piece. NO IDEA what it might be a piece of - just junk, obviously - but based on how much rock/dirt is cemented to it, it must have been there a good long while. There is no evidence of there ever having been a house on this property. So I am fairly encouraged that this little find might have something to do with Sherman's encampment.

Would LOVE someone with more experience than me (or anyone, really) to come on out and explore. PM me if interested. I'm in the Clarkston/Stone Mountain area.

View attachment 2005869
Well ?

If you can figure out your machine issue , I love to scout the spot with you sometime before say ? May while it's cooler and wet . PM me if you like . Good Eve

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I thought about that but I believe the more the merrier. Nothing there is gonna make me rich. But seeing others find “riches” as a result of my research would make me happy.
Great un selfish attitude there.

Rare these days / like Civil War Relics around the Atlanta metro these days .

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the research! Looking forward to follow on posts with what you all find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread