found a very interesting find without using my detector

T

trmark

I found a area where ther was some old shotgun shells laying around and had a free moment while driving in the area. I wasn't doing too much that day and started checking out to see if I could some more shotgun shells, I was finding purple glass and weathered household items like there was a dewelling there a some point and time. everything was in brush 6' tall with some open spaces here and there. I was finding a couple 357 pistol cartridges and seen something on the ground that set me back alittle, it was a handgun laying on top of the ground.It was pretty rusty but after scrapping some of it off I found out that it was a Smith & Wesson 38, more commonly known as a saturday night special. This is the first gun I ever found, showed it to my brother and he got excited, maybe its a murder weapon, or used in a robbery. I took it to the Police and you should have seen them move away when I told them I had a gun in the paper bag, they wanted my name, address, phone number and ID. must of thought I was a terrorist or something. The deputy called me 2 hours later an told me it was stolin in 1987 which accounts for all the rust, it wasn't useable at all and was empty. Well keep huntin.

Upvote 0

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some detectorists help law enforcement find weapons, but I've never heard of one finding it without the detector! Great story, trmark 8)

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Neat story. I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often, but I can understand the eeriness of the find.

I guess you never know what you'll find when you're searching the bushes.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I found a gun lying on the highway once. I was all excited and turned it in careful not to put fingerprints on it. I never did hear any more about it like was it used in a crime, lost or what.
While metal detecting I find things lying around that I wouldn't have otherwise seen, I guess cause I'm so focused and looking on the ground with a purpose. I think that's just another cool aspect of MDing.

R

ranger ricky

Not sure I would classify a smith and wesson a saturday night special, dont sell it short good job

OP
OP
T

trmark

The smith ans wesson had a inch and a half long barrel, and was the type you could hide very easy.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I turned mine in I got a 'pink slip' receipt from the police. They held it for 90 days before I could get it back. I had to call them several times to get the details on it. They checked it out within 24 hours of getting it, and later told me it hadn't been reported stolen, used in a crime, etc. Keep calling if you really want to know!

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
It's interesting what you sometimes find without a metal detector. Just walking around my small hometown, I pick up anwhere from $200-350 (or more) every year. My biggest find: nearly $100 in one of those white envelopes the bank gives you. There it was, sitting in a parking lot with tire tracks all over it. People are careless.

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite top of the ground finds are the tools laying on the road that people forgot to take off the top of the engines ;D, pick up tailgates :D, etc. Last fall I found an Estwing hammer in the middle of the road. :) My hubby drives OTR and he comes up with some real goodies once in a while. Never a gun, tho!

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I was rabbit hunting at Promitory Point here in Utah when I was younger and found an old 22 pistol. It was hanging by the trigger guard on a little nub on a cedar tree. I have always wondered what the story behind this was.

D

Darod

Wow,....I think I would have been looking over my sholders with my eyes looking like this: :o

Rod

J

Justin L

I was rabbit hunting at Promitory Point here in Utah when I was younger and found an old 22 pistol. It was hanging by the trigger guard on a little nub on a cedar tree. I have always wondered what the story behind this was.

Somebody probably hung it on the tree while they were "doing their business" and just forgot about it :)

K

knuckles

Very cool buddy ...keep it up. I think that youve found a good site there. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread