What's new

Found a weird "coin"

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Found a weird "coin"

I don't have a way to put up a photo, but I found 2 Winchester ammunition "coins" that are the exact size as a half dollar, and have coin-like reeding on the rims. I don't believe they are silver but they do not stick to a magnet. The rims look just like '64 Kennedys (that is what I thought they were when I saw them in the roll).

Anyone ever see these before? They don't have any artwork on them but say Winchester Western Ammunition on one side and Winchester world famous firearms on the other.

I don't know why Winchester would make these the exact same size as a half dollar. :icon_scratch:

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Re: Found a weird "coin"

Earliest possible date would be 1931, when the two merged.

Target coins are usually silver dollar size, with no reeding; so, this is more likely a promotional token.
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

PBK said:
Earliest possible date would be 1931, when the two merged.

Target coins are usually silver dollar size, with no reeding; so, this is more likely a promotional token.

Thanks PBK,

Probably just a couple of worthless tokens. I hate the a$$holes that dump tokens and other assorted non-halves into the coin machines which wind up in our rolls. I will not return the favor though, in that it is probably some sort of crime to do that and it is just not right.

In any event, the box I found these two coins in also had 10-40%s, so all is not lost.

Jim
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

I like getting foreign and non halves. To each his own.
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

Hehe!

I also like finding odd stuff, so long as it doesn't put me out at too much of a loss.

In fact, yesterday while hunting a nickel roll, I found a dime someone had accidentally stuck in there - I guess technically I made 5 cents!

Woohoo!
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

jim4silver said:
Probably just a couple of worthless tokens.
May not be worthless, some tokens go for a lot more more than a 90% half.
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

The most common foreign coin I get is the Panama Balboa, last box had 2 in it, in the same box I got a Sacagawea sandwiched in a roll, so it evened out
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

I have yet to find a token or foreign coin in my boxes. I did once find a dime sandwiched in one of the rolls though once.

The best I have managed is finding dimes inside nickel and penny rolls. Most commonly in the penny ones... and the dimes are dirty and dark as all hell... helps explain how they got in the roll.

Grats on the 40% btw Jim... not a bad box at all. Hope it keeps up.

~Dave
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

LOL, I found 3 forgin coins in my 1st box and 1 forgin coin in my 2nd box. :tongue3:
 
Re: Found a weird "coin"

BBcardsRI said:
I have yet to find a token or foreign coin in my boxes. I did once find a dime sandwiched in one of the rolls though once.

The best I have managed is finding dimes inside nickel and penny rolls. Most commonly in the penny ones... and the dimes are dirty and dark as all hell... helps explain how they got in the roll.

Grats on the 40% btw Jim... not a bad box at all. Hope it keeps up.

~Dave


Thanks Dave.

Silver_Fox said:
I like getting foreign and non halves. To each his own.

I don't mind finding a foreign coin in a roll or bag, especially the older ones. But I am sick of getting bus tokens, subway tokens, blank slabs of metal, etc. To me that is the same as getting a short roll. Either way, I am getting screwed out of value to some extent. When the silver was flowing better it didn't bother me so much. But when I am getting less silver and sometimes none, these worthless tokens mean I am not even breaking even.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom