What's new

Found a WW2 plane "crash", rifle part, bullet game token?

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
1,559
Reaction score
919
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a WW2 plane "crash", rifle part, bullet game token?

Went back to a site I hit once last year for my second 2016 hunt. Great day.

Found a brass whatsit I know I've seen before; some say trigger guard piece, others say butt plate. I think it's too small to be a butt plate, but what do I know.

Then I got a coin hit that turned out to be the top of a 1950s Hubley Kiddie-Toy P-47 Thunderbolt. Not two feet away was the bottom and one wheel, but no propeller.

On my way back to my car I hit upon (and accidentally decapitated) a non-lead toy figure, maybe a policeman (no pic) and this flattened lead piece. I've heard of Civil War soldiers making game tokens from bullets, could this be one? About the size of a half dollar.
 

Attachments

  • 1457827960388.webp
    1457827960388.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 1457827969871.webp
    1457827969871.webp
    35 KB · Views: 129
  • 1457827982356.webp
    1457827982356.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 1457827993632.webp
    1457827993632.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 1457828005306.webp
    1457828005306.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 1457828015296.webp
    1457828015296.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 1457828068956.webp
    1457828068956.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 1457828091807.webp
    1457828091807.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 30
Congrats, that plane cleaned up nicely. :thumbsup:
 
Here's a pic of the figurine I beheaded lol
 

Attachments

  • 1457832399371.webp
    1457832399371.webp
    41 KB · Views: 108
The toy Airplane is awesome!!! but reminds me of the P 47 Thunderbolt..8-) Congrats... Finding OLD toys is always Fun for me ....
 
The toy plane is really cool!
 
That plane, all cleaned up, looks great
 
yeah, that is no p 40
 
The toy Airplane is awesome!!! but reminds me of the P 47 Thunderbolt..8-) Congrats... Finding OLD toys is always Fun for me ....

Ok! I was having a hard time matching it to a pic. That's why I share online, someone always knows :D
 
Looks more like a Seversky P-35 to me. In any case, it's very a cool item!
 
Last edited:
The plane is great! The first thing though isn't a gun part, it looks more like part of a handle or something, whatever it is, it looks to have been riveted to something iron
 
Love the plane. Toys are tops on my list. Thanks for the pictures
 
The plane cleaned up nicely! Congratulations!
 
Looks more like a Seversky P-35 to me. In any case, it's very a cool item!

I got the impression that Hubley made their own plane that was a mixture of a P-40, P-47, and F4U. So it may have elements of a few in it.
 
Your title had me there for a minute! :tongue3: I was expecting a WWII plane crash site somewhere in Europe!

Love the finds though, thanks for sharing!

Go Navy!! :coffee2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom