šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Found along a low riverbank in CT.. looks like it once had a pin and was maybe worn. Came out of the ground looking good so maybe silver. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
27F0CC7A-6A5F-43C7-B809-6C15FA0C0F95.jpeg
56C41B84-9F6B-499E-8A96-2630EB915796.jpeg
AB7E9647-762F-4C87-8375-58C0B22E4B36.jpeg
Looks like it was worn like once had pin. Maybe silver cause came out of the ground looking good. Riverbank in CTā€¦ any ideas

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few other sites all say the same thingā€¦ a thing called a gorget worn bye guys like George Washington! About 300 years old ā€¦ wow you couldnā€™t be more wrong cause it is silver ā€¦. Amateur lol
Not trying to be rude but your comment is kind of rude. No one has to help you and not everyone here are experts. They choose to reach out and attempt to help on their time so no need to be rude when someone gives you their opinion on the matter. Give respect and get it back. I only say something because I know most people here are really good people and don't deserve disrespect. If you are so sure what it is than I suppose move along.

Upvote 10

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thereā€™s another saying about arguing with stupid but what the hell Iā€™ll bite, maybe cause im feeling argumentative, and a little sick of people flat out lyingā€¦.

100% wrong it is half moonā€¦ maybe you better stick to matchbox toys cause I guess you just canā€™t fix S*****šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

As you will see below from a simple google searchā€¦ a half moon has one concave side and one convex side. As I highlighted above the original piece DOES NOT FIT THIS DESCRIPTION. To call it half moon is false.
4E08516B-7626-4070-A6D8-221157C7F9FB.png
815B3F76-B6BD-49F5-A370-2FE454CA1901.png

But I understand why you cling to this fact because without this crutch for your assessment you have no argument as far as it being a gorget. Iā€™ve asked multiple times as well as another member to provide any proof that a gorget is anything but a crescent shapeā€¦ unless you count Native American examples which donā€™t matter anyway because the argument is they evokes into slides which there is no example Iā€™ve seen of a na groundstone slide.
You also seem to flip from colonial to Victorian explanations, it seems you canā€™t even keep your time periods straight, which is understandable, when making things up it is often difficult to keep your facts straight.
You say that the people are amateurs on this site with lazy idā€™s, Iā€™ve provided multiple examples of the information out there. None of it mentions a crossover between gorgets and slides, you have on the other hand failed to provide any proof of your claim and have resorting to a yes huh, nuh uh, type argument, focusing on increasingly small details and semantics in a last ditch attempt to make your argument seem credible. This tactic along with lack of supporting evidence shows you have no leg to stand on. So you did what most children do and turn to personal attacks.
Finally you come on to this site, mention slow responses, lazy ids, and immediately attack members, then you wonder why you arenā€™t getting help. People like you are the reason this site is slow at times, the members that have been around a long time and know a thing or two are tired of posts like yours. They donā€™t have the will to bang their head against the wall trying to reason with a negative passerby who refuses to see anything but what they want to see
So again Iā€™m a person with an open mind and if you want to show any proof of your claims then Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m wrong but until then you have some sort of slide (nothing to do with gorgets or George Washington) and Id put it at late 1800ā€™s based on similar generic farm debitage Iā€™ve dug.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thereā€™s another saying about arguing with stupid but what the hell Iā€™ll bite, maybe cause im feeling argumentative, and a little sick of people flat out lyingā€¦.

As you will see below from a simple google searchā€¦ a half moon has one concave side and one convex side. As I highlighted above the original piece DOES NOT FIT THIS DESCRIPTION. To call it half moon is false.
View attachment 2043675 View attachment 2043676
But I understand why you cling to this fact because without this crutch for your assessment you have no argument as far as it being a gorget. Iā€™ve asked multiple times as well as another member to provide any proof that a gorget is anything but a crescent shapeā€¦ unless you count Native American examples which donā€™t matter anyway because the argument is they evokes into slides which there is no example Iā€™ve seen of a na groundstone slide.
You also seem to flip from colonial to Victorian explanations, it seems you canā€™t even keep your time periods straight, which is understandable, when making things up it is often difficult to keep your facts straight.
You say that the people are amateurs on this site with lazy idā€™s, Iā€™ve provided multiple examples of the information out there. None of it mentions a crossover between gorgets and slides, you have on the other hand failed to provide any proof of your claim and have resorting to a yes huh, nuh uh, type argument, focusing on increasingly small details and semantics in a last ditch attempt to make your argument seem credible. This tactic along with lack of supporting evidence shows you have no leg to stand on. So you did what most children do and turn to personal attacks.
Finally you come on to this site, mention slow responses, lazy ids, and immediately attack members, then you wonder why you arenā€™t getting help. People like you are the reason this site is slow at times, the members that have been around a long time and know a thing or two are tired of posts like yours. They donā€™t have the will to bang their head against the wall trying to reason with a negative passerby who refuses to see anything but what they want to see
So again Iā€™m a person with an open mind and if you want to show any proof of your claims then Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m wrong but until then you have some sort of slide (nothing to do with gorgets or George Washington) and Id put it at late 1800ā€™s based on similar generic farm debitage Iā€™ve dug.
254DCB33-B553-419D-B944-ADD156EFCFC7.jpeg

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Letā€™s put our thinking cap on for just a minute, thatā€™s a side profile, if worn like a gorget at that orientation you would have a thin metal line around your neck and it wouldnā€™t function as a slide with a bowl shaped bottomā€¦ at that orientation Iā€™d say neither a slide or a gorget. Also quoting yourself isnā€™t going to sell me on anything, Iā€™ve yet to see any confirmation that gorgets evolved into slides, and even if they have you still have a slide and not a gorget.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Letā€™s put our thinking cap on for just a minute, thatā€™s a side profile, if worn like a gorget at that orientation you would have a thin metal line around your neck and it wouldnā€™t function as a slide with a bowl shaped bottomā€¦ at that orientation Iā€™d say neither a slide or a gorget. Also quoting yourself isnā€™t going to sell me on anything, Iā€™ve yet to see any confirmation that gorgets evolved into slides, and even if they have you still have a slide and not a gorget.
A fashion evolution. Pretty obvious itā€™s half moon thanks to your help. Used around neck to hold scarf I imagine.with pin.. been confirmed on other sites Sorry you canā€™t see the obviousšŸ¤·šŸ¼.. but you helped solve it so heyšŸ‘

Upvote 0

Fishin-4-a-Livin

Dec 4, 2021
Florida Panhandle
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Excal II
Garrett ATX
Garrett AT Pro
100% wrong it is half moonā€¦ maybe you better stick to matchbox toys cause I guess you just canā€™t fix S*****šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I donā€™t understand why people come on here seeking help from others and then turning into a jerk when help is offered.

Upvote 8

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems your winding down into more personal jabs and an agree to disagree stance, that bores me. I guess Iā€™ll never get any proof beyond itā€™s called fashion, careful with posting personal theoryā€™s others may interpret them as reality. This can be convoluting for those who use the knowledge on this site for their own research. Good luck with future finds

Upvote 5

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also called woggle or scarf slideā€¦ Victorian high fashion

when someone tells me its for a suitcase from the 70ā€™s thatā€™s the response they deserveā€¦ this site is slow to solve anything lately and the responses are pure amateur hour..

99% certain but was expecting some better responses from this site considering Iā€™ve pretty much solved it on a few other sites last night..
You will please post by our rules or not post, you have been here long enough to know our rules and they include not insulting members. Your title asks a question (......maybe worn, maybe silver any Ideas ?) and members are trying to answer, just because you do not like the answers does not mean you can attack the members replying.

Upvote 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread