Found an 1820s L.H & Scovill button today. Cleaning advice?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an 1820's L.H & Scovill button today. Cleaning advice?

It's finally nice out today in RI. A balmy 50 degrees with bright sunshine. I was out for about an hour and found eight memorial pennies and one very old button. It's an 1820's L.H & Scovill "extra rich" button with the shank still attached. The back is very nice, but the front is toast.

Here's my question. Can I clean this type of button in hydrogen peroxide or should I just leave it alone? I don't want to lose the gold on the back, but I would like to clean it a little, if possible. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

scovill 1.jpgscovill 2.jpgscovill 3.JPGscovill 4.JPG

Upvote 2
If that button was mine I would clean the back with Aluminum jelly. I display my plain flat buttons with the backs up by the way.

You would be amazed at the amount of gold gilt that will come out. If you have never used aluminum jelly, use just a little with a q tip and wash it off after a few seconds. Better to do a couple of stages then trying to do it all at once. Warning, the jelly with remove the green patina too so only use it where you see the hint of gold gilt or silver wash, whatever the case may be.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try the aluminum jelly first. Where can I buy it? I checked the Home Depot website and they don't sell it. Maybe my local hardware store?

Great find but honestly, why clean it more? All it needs is a little water and a gentle rubbing. After ruining some relics in the past, I don't use any products that could potentially destroy my artifact. I have come to appreciate the 'dug look' as dirt can sometimes bring out more detail in a backmark or design on a button.
-1stCR

Aluminum or naval jelly can usually be found at your local hardware store. Use a very small amount and q tip it gently just in the places where the gilt should be. Go easy I have left it on too long or put too much on and taken gilt off.

Too many choices! I'll have to sleep on it and figure out what to do tomorrow. No reason to rush the cleaning process right now. Thanks for everyone's input.

If that button was mine I would clean the back with Aluminum jelly. I display my plain flat buttons with the backs up by the way.

You would be amazed at the amount of gold gilt that will come out. If you have never used aluminum jelly, use just a little with a q tip and wash it off after a few seconds. Better to do a couple of stages then trying to do it all at once. Warning, the jelly with remove the green patina too so only use it where you see the hint of gold gilt or silver wash, whatever the case may be.
Exactly what I do!:thumbsup:

A word of caution... Do what you want, the relic is yours, but there are a lot of "experts" on here. Best advice is go on some of the major collectors websites like relicman.com or civilwarbuttons.com and see what the real experts have to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back