What's new

Found at Vicksburg area site

Ripcon

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2016
Messages
725
Reaction score
1,246
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a brass piece I found in a camp yesterday. The attachment hook is broken but the studs are still visible so I know it's a buckle. Is this military? It has 8 stars on the piece.

dgtfr.webp
 
I've seen similar women's sash buckles but those had feminine designs on them. This one has Eight 5 pointed stars along the outside. I don't know if that means anything or not but it didn't give off that feminine look that you normally see on women's sash buckles.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here is another similar style dug in Culpeper County, VA.

e672d5c8852b92c0d20ce34e1df81684.webp

EDITORIAL NOTE: OK, I'm taking this one with the proverbial 'grain of salt' or maybe a whole shaker of salt. I continued searching for "Civil war sash buckles" and found three more that said Confederate sash buckle dug in Culpeper. Hmmm... But it's on the internet so it must be true, right? :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
And another...

381232033307.webp
 
Upvote 0
Boom and there it is awesome!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it's definitely a civil war period sash buckle. Thanks for the input and the i.d.
 
Upvote 0
I agree that the item is a Confederate Civil War Sash Buckle! I doubt that it was worn by just any mere Soldier or even lower ranked Officers and due to the Stars, I believe that it was possibly worn by a Confederate General. If Ripcon can find any history of the Confederate Camp and any Generals that may have visited and/or camped there, then he might find out who lost it.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site was in a major transit area during the Vicksburg campaign. Thanks, I had never seen a sash buckle like that with stars but it makes sense that an officer would've had it. I will try to track down specific units that might have camped here.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom