What's new

Found coin

jkrice33

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this coin off the coast of Florida. Would anyone happen to have any info on it for me? It measures 1" wide. Any help would be wonderful! Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • FrontCoin.webp
    FrontCoin.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 470
  • BackCoin.webp
    BackCoin.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 464
You found this diving?
 
Upvote 0
It looks as if it might be a copy of a c. 1474-1504 Spanish silver coin from the reign of Ferdinand & Isabella, similar to this 2 reales.
2_reales_sevilla_1a.webp2_reales_sevilla_1b.webp​
 
Upvote 0
I tried to lighten the pics. Is it silver?
unk jkrice back.webpunk jkrice front.webp
 
Upvote 0
Was this a beach find?
 
Upvote 0
I agree with PBK. This looks like a replica of a Ferdinand and Isabella (Catholic Kings) 1 or 2 real coin (1474-1504). The one in the photo is not silver.

There are a lot of replicas of this coin. This coin is known as the Columbus coin. There are several variations depending on the mint (Toledo, Seville, Segovia, etc).

The legend is something like this:
FERNANDVS:ET:ELISABET:D:G
REX:ET:REGINA:CAST:LEGIO: A:S:C
 
Upvote 0
Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for all the help! I found it on the beach in Florida. It definitely looks like the ceca de toledo, it has the same markings. It is not silver and I'm not sure of the weight. Do you think it has any value if it's just a replica?
 
Upvote 0
Replica: $3-5

Silver: $200-300
 
Upvote 0
awww... I guess I'll just have to keep looking! Thanks for the help :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
jkrice33 said:
Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for all the help! I found it on the beach in Florida. It definitely looks like the ceca de toledo, it has the same markings. It is not silver and I'm not sure of the weight. Do you think it has any value if it's just a replica?
It appears to be recently lost with no corrosion. I dont know what beach you found it at but look to the tourist shops in the area. Value would be very little. I think its much more interesting to find a pot metal souvenir replica than zinc pennies. Ill take these anyday over any clad!
 
Upvote 0
Many Jettons/Jetons were copies of coins. It could well be a Jetton instead of a copy :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Does it have any ring tone to it when you drop it on a counter top? To me it looks like a pot metal fake type coin .They give off no tone....
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
jkrice33 said:
Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for all the help! I found it on the beach in Florida. It definitely looks like the ceca de toledo, it has the same markings. It is not silver and I'm not sure of the weight. Do you think it has any value if it's just a replica?
It appears to be recently lost with no corrosion. I dont know what beach you found it at but look to the tourist shops in the area. Value would be very little. I think its much more interesting to find a pot metal souvenir replica than zinc pennies. Ill take these anyday over any clad!

I agree! It's exciting to learn about it, even if it is a souvenir replica ;D
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
Does it have any ring tone to it when you drop it on a counter top? To me it looks like a pot metal fake type coin .They give off no tone....

It does ring, but then again I am no expert.
 
Upvote 0
Compare the sound when dropped with a known silver coin of about the same size. That will help.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I wonder if trying to polish it with silver polish would be a good test?
 
Upvote 0
A better way to tell is to put the coin on a piece of aluminum foil about 3 inches square. Give it a good spit. Wet the coin with it. Fold the aluminum foil over the coin and press it over the coin as tightly as possible (you should be able to see the coin outline through the foil). Fold it all up and press again. If it is silver, it will react to the aluminum foil and give off the smell of "Rotten Eggs." This is a good way to field clean cruddy silver coins. It won't hurt them and will get rid of a lot of the tarnish and crud so you can see the details better.

Give 'er a shot.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom