Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure? For finding treasure?
Wand/ athame?
Aha Bes / Beset . Lingam, magic sigils. Gorgon...yali..etc...
Purchased last year on eBay.
After a series of incredible finds including bonafide athames and magic swords.
I found myself researching magical treasure hunting for fun. I had a book about the topic that I highly recommend. It was something like , Magical treasure hunting in Europe and North America.
I found myself looking at more stuff on eBay when I found this peice. It was unique so I bought it. In research I have come up with some ideas and it lead to researching down many rabbit holes. Anyone got some knowlege orcan point me in the right direction? Unfortunately no xrf analyzers nearby. And not many researches on these things
Thanks
It is kinda sharp I imagine it can be sharpened it is quite solid. Doesn't look like a typical letter opener to me...
Not with the sigils....
PXL_20231211_202300281.jpg
PXL_20231211_202307493.jpg
PXL_20231211_202318618.jpg
PXL_20231211_202325393.jpg
PXL_20231211_202353998.jpg
PXL_20231211_202400425.jpg
PXL_20231211_202336333.jpg
PXL_20231211_202343825.jpg
PXL_20231211_202407934.MP.jpg
PXL_20231211_202416924.MP.jpg
PXL_20231211_202426697.jpg
PXL_20231211_202433308.jpg
PXL_20231211_202458952.jpg

Solution
The symbol on the one side of that looks somewhat closely related to the astrological symbol of Mercury looks suspiciously close to Dr. John Dee's Hieroglyphic Monad. Granted some subtle changes here and there to the symbol on the handle, but there are similarities. Also Dr. Dee and his scryer Edward Kelley did do a bit of dabbling into magickal treasure hunting when they weren't talking to angels.

Also, I just received that book you mentioned, Magical Treaaure Hunting in Europe and North America about a week before you posted this and I am quite impressed by the author's thoroughness of the history. I'm still working through the first chapter on the associated laws to treasure hunting. It's deep..

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
It's whatever you want it to be. Why ask?

Upvote 0

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
Keep in mind, many things are called brass, but are really bronze. Consider boat propellers, for example.

We've all heard of the bronze age. Bronze was a game changer because it's pretty hard stuff and can take a pretty good edge.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind, many things are called brass, but are really bronze. Consider boat propellers, for example.

We've all heard of the bronze age. Bronze was a game changer because it's pretty hard stuff and can take a pretty good edge.
A new letter opener made from an ancient bronze boat propeller! SOLVED

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask because I like to research things & maybe some else thinks it's as cool as I do. Maybe one-day I'll see a similar example or sigil. Or someone will gimme something cool to research concerning it. For instance I was researching something else and led to seeing this
is Screenshot_20231218-145925.png Screenshot_20231218-164220.png and my brain is trying to make some connections. Real or misguided...

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

There are over 60 types of brass, the most basic categorisation can be considered to group all brasses into three main families, copper zinc brasses (Cu-Zn), Leaded brasses (Cu, Zn, Pb) and tin brasses (Cu, Zn, Sn) these can then be further sub-divided by their more specific properties and uses.

Then there Bronze which is mainly copper with 12% Tin then the other metals such as aluminum, manganese, zinc, or nickel. It sometimes contains non-metals or metalloids such as arsenic, phosphorus, and silicon. The different metal and non-metal add-ons produce a range of bronze alloys with different qualities.

There are as many as 400 different copper and copper alloy compositions loosely grouped into the categories: copper, high copper alloy, brasses, bronzes, copper nickels, copper–nickel–zinc (nickel silver), leaded copper, and special alloys.

So to the letter opener, and the pitting is air/gasification while casting it.

From handling 10-15 tons of the reds a week for a decade+, I learnt a tad about what was what.
But still had a long ways in knowing, it's a wonderful world in its self the metals.

Upvote 3

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
THEN there is annealing and the effect it has on hardness, and so on.

I do copper plating, which relies on electricity to apply a coating of copper over my wood turnings (after applying a sealer, then a conductive coat).

Interestingly, you can heat copper to change the hardness. The heat will soften it.

Pounding on that same copper will harden it. As will adding a single, VERY thin layer of copper over the previously heated copper surface. The soft copper can be bent with fingers, but plated or pounded copper may require tools to be bent.

Upvote 1

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Joe, that's a nice thing about freedom..you get to speak about what you believe something to be. Even if the experts here disagree, you can still believe what you wish.

What they are addressing are the physical properties of the item, whereas your connection to it lies much more in the spiritual realm.

Pouring maple syrup over a moose turd don't make it a pancake. You can call it a pancake if you want to, but in reality it's still just a moose turd covered in syrup.

Upvote 5

Dargo Januse

Nov 25, 2023
The symbol on the one side of that looks somewhat closely related to the astrological symbol of Mercury looks suspiciously close to Dr. John Dee's Hieroglyphic Monad. Granted some subtle changes here and there to the symbol on the handle, but there are similarities. Also Dr. Dee and his scryer Edward Kelley did do a bit of dabbling into magickal treasure hunting when they weren't talking to angels.

Also, I just received that book you mentioned, Magical Treaaure Hunting in Europe and North America about a week before you posted this and I am quite impressed by the author's thoroughness of the history. I'm still working through the first chapter on the associated laws to treasure hunting. It's deep..

Attachments

• monad_hibernacula.jpg
    monad_hibernacula.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20231211_202325393.jpg
    PXL_20231211_202325393.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Upvote 1
Solution
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Dargo Januse for your interest and comments. I have researched Dee and Kelley before. And will be glad to do more research on that specific hieroglyphic monad. Thanks for the suggestion.
That treasure hunting book realy did cover it all. Wish I remembered from that book the German name they had for these type of house hold entities folks made deals with.
A good book I read that revolved around Dee was The alchemists dream by John Wilson.
There has been alot of talk about the properties of bronze/brass . I can mention from some experience aswell it's not easy for an amateur to work with , I can't melt copper or brass despite trying many times it's not as easy as silver Wich I have worked with.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, that's a nice thing about freedom..you get to speak about what you believe something to be. Even if the experts here disagree, you can still believe what you wish.

What they are addressing are the physical properties of the item, whereas your connection to it lies much more in the spiritual realm.

Pouring maple syrup over a moose turd don't make it a pancake. You can call it a pancake if you want to, but in reality it's still just a moose turd covered in syrup.
Well that does it. Ima gonna need to take a closer look next time I visit IHOP :D

Upvote 5

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’ll say one thing for the item in your original post: it has staying power. This post has lasted a lot longer than I would have predicted.
Keep searching for whatever interests you. You can’t go wrong trying to learn.

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is a fancy letter opener

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Joecoins

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll say one thing for the item in your original post: it has staying power. This post has lasted a lot longer than I would have predicted.
Keep searching for whatever interests you. You can’t go wrong trying to learn.

I invite you all to please comment on my bronze bowl which I acquired since starting this thread, and am currently researching and need help translating. the thread can be found by searching for mysterious bowl on treasure net. PXL_20231220_165136739.jpg
PXL_20231220_165045138.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I invite you all to please comment on my bronze bowl which I acquired since starting this thread, and am currently researching and need help translating. the thread can be found by searching for mysterious bowl on treasure net. View attachment 2121531 View attachment 2121532
I’d say it could be for burning incense cones. Unsure as to the symbols. Initially I thought sanskrit or urdu characters. But I seriously doubt it is either.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread