What's new

✅ SOLVED Found In 1890s Yard, Really Cool But No ID Yet

Natman

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
2,495
Reaction score
477
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hazelwood, MO
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This will be part of a display I'm making of finds in an old yard I searched over the summer...if anyone has ANY clue what this could be, please let me know. Intricate detailing on it, has a small part in the middle where something may have been fastened to it. I know it's the time period of the house and area. Thanks!
Nat
 

Attachments

  • 47395373_400292664045777_313175511847141376_n.webp
    47395373_400292664045777_313175511847141376_n.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 47310868_579968772423836_2655066606777925632_n.webp
    47310868_579968772423836_2655066606777925632_n.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 47391826_1042883029218676_2102222251842600960_n.webp
    47391826_1042883029218676_2102222251842600960_n.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 47318103_294283847868635_8527361093205491712_n.webp
    47318103_294283847868635_8527361093205491712_n.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 81
Part to a weight scale?:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
As a purely WAG - part of the frame that was around a small hallway mirror or picture frame?
 
Upvote 0
Part of a Victorian purse frame maybe?
 
Upvote 0
I'd guess purse frame as well...
 
Upvote 0
Half of the top frame of a hand bag.
 

Attachments

  • victorian handbag.webp
    victorian handbag.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you all
 
Upvote 0
Hmmmmm, I’m going the purse route, looks like it’s missing a piece but cool nonetheless!!!
 
Upvote 0
That's hilarious how people can ID stuff. LOL
 
Upvote 0
Nice find Natman and congrats!

I may be pointing out the obvious here but it does look like tooled leather on both sides. This makes me think the strap went skinny side up so the tooling could be seen from both sides. With respect to the purse strap theory and the hardware, it may have been off some kind of valise designed to carry important documents or valuables. Perhaps the hardware once featured a tether to be attached to the wrist. I couldn't help but notice that the pattern in the tooling appears to be owl likenesses. You'd be wise to safeguard your items in this valise. Perhaps the owl is a trademark!

Best wishes and god hunting!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom