What's new

Found in a civil war camp. Brass something?

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a ring sort of. I have no clue what this is. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • temp_name(15).webp
    temp_name(15).webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 886
  • temp_name(16).webp
    temp_name(16).webp
    8 KB · Views: 892
  • temp_name(17).webp
    temp_name(17).webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 864
It almost looks like one of those brass Lone Ranger rings, but different. Is it open on one end?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
It almost looks like one of those brass Lone Ranger rings, but different. Is it open on one end?
No, its solid and feels a little heavy to be a ring.
 
Upvote 0
muleskinner said:
maybe the round part of a bayonet that went around the barrel?
I have a few bayonets and nothing resembles this piece.
 
Upvote 0
montepollock said:
Frustrating, isn,t it?
HH,Mont
Yup! And I guess that's what I love the most about the hobby.
 
Upvote 0
Bump.....
 
Upvote 0
dirtymike, does the inside of the object look very smooth and exact as though it may have been machined, or is it somewhat irregular?
 
Upvote 0
Could it pe part of a grounding-rod clamp ?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 011 (3).webp
    Picture 011 (3).webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 650
Upvote 0
Although I don't think this is a grounding clamp as it's not tapped and the site where it was found seems wrong, mojjax is right that many of the older and even some newer grounding rod clamps are cast brass.
(actually mojjax has been on a roll lately...he may be right on this one too:D)
 
Upvote 0
Rando said:
mojjax said:
Could it pe part of a grounding-rod clamp ?
Brass isn't a very good conductor compared to what else has always been easily available, though.
i stand corrected, It IS used.
Gold and silver are better... but brass/copper is most widely used and better than aluminum.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
dirtymike, does the inside of the object look very smooth and exact as though it may have been machined, or is it somewhat irregular?

It appears to be machined. Its very smooth.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Found in a civil war camp. Brass something?Still Unsolved?

I am still curious,any new Ideas this?
HH,Mont
 
Upvote 0
I have found these before in mid-19th c. housesites. I always thought they were some sort of ferrule on a utensil of some sort.

-Buck
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
I have found these before in mid-19th c. housesites. I always thought they were some sort of ferrule on a utensil of some sort.

-Buck
Did you save any? A pic would be cool and maybe help solve it. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom