What's new

Found in old syrup mill in deep woods

History Detective

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2010
Messages
75
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this strange shaped object in the ruins of an old syrup mill in East Texas. The object is very heavy maybe cast iron...and about the size of a base ball. One end has a screw type piping and the other end has a bolt type end. It os hollow inside.
The syrup mill dates back to the early 1900's and has very few visitors since it is located on my friend's private property. There were some old home sites in the area ( all long gone since the early 1900's ) but I did notice a few old car parts scattered throughout the woods but this doesn't look like anything I've seen coming out of a car. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • P1050782.webp
    P1050782.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 882
It looks like an expansion chamber for something. Maybe a steam engine of some sort.
 
Upvote 0
This is a picture of the remains of the syrup mill taken at the exact spot where the object was found a few minutes earlier. It was buried in the middle a few inches down.The ruins could be from as early as the late 1800's. I'm leaning toward it having something to due with the production of the syrup but could be wrong....
 

Attachments

  • P1050753.webp
    P1050753.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 811
Upvote 0
Looks like it could be part of a pressure release safety valve.
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to TreasureNet :icon_thumleft:
Definitely plumbing parts of some sort. I see a 'reducing fitting' to the right. Is that soldered in somehow?
A better idea of size might help :help:
We play softball over here (World Champs for many years :headbang: ) ergo, our balls are bigger,
than a baseball ;D

Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Welcome to TreasureNet :icon_thumleft:
Definitely plumbing parts of some sort. I see a 'reducing fitting' to the right. Is that soldered in somehow?
A better idea of size might help :help:
We play softball over here (World Champs for many years :headbang: ) ergo, our balls are bigger,
than a baseball ;D

Cheers, Mike
Bigger Balls ! LMAO :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
To me, it doesn't add up that a threaded shaft would be protruding from the decorative end of a bed post finial. But here I go knocking one idea without a guess of my own. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I know that is does resemble the top a bed post but the extra threaded end doesn't seem to have any use then, its not rounded off like it would be on a bed post...also the nut on the other end is heavy duty industrial like...the steam engine part could possible fit into the matters as there was thought to be rail tracks running down to the mill to get the syrup out of the woods...there are no roads within about 300 yard of where this mill is located...the entire mill was covered in with about 5 feet of dirt when it was found and we used a bull dozer to dig it out the way it is seen in the photo...
On the size part...it is slighly smaller than an American baseball..hope this additional info. helps!
 
Upvote 0
It appears that a hex wrench will fit one end. More pics will help from different angles.
 
Upvote 0
Here is another angle...I'll get others with a measuring tape if I can...
 

Attachments

  • P1050779.webp
    P1050779.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 647
Upvote 0
Pic. of it on end on end.
 

Attachments

  • P1050778 (2).webp
    P1050778 (2).webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 642
Upvote 0
Heres a pictiure of it next to tennis ball for size comparison.
 

Attachments

  • P1050785.webp
    P1050785.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 620
Upvote 0
Is there a hole all the way through?

If you had 2 of these, would one thread onto the other?
 
Upvote 0
Yes, the hole does indeed go all the way thru...as far as attaching two together I suppose it would possibly be possible...not 100% sure on that though....
 
Upvote 0
Interesting! I can't help identify it, though: doesn't look like anything I've seen before.
 
Upvote 0
Well, I bet I could put it on Ebay as an unsolved mystery item and get good bids on it! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
This is a tough one to ID. Maybe if we could see a close up of the two fittings from a different angle. Take the pic straight on top and bottom. Thanks for the new pics but they are all from a side view.

Also use a darker background such as blue or green. White does not focus well. It makes the object dark. I tried to lighten it but the white background is the problem. Use the flower icon setting too.

I dont know what it is but if I can see the fitting, I or someone, may be able to realize what it connected to. It almost appears to be the type of flare that I see on my Nitrogen, Oxygen and Acetylene tanks.
 

Attachments

  • unknown brass ball.webp
    unknown brass ball.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom