Found in trash pit. 1800-1900. Louisiana trading area. Indian, CW, Early settler

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgjr told me to do this. He wants to know what it is. Its a museum mystery. Found near Red River in an old trade area where Indian artifacts, CW, Early settlers and who know what lived.. From a trash pit dig. The pit was about 4 foot or more around and we have dug to about 10 feet and still uncovering layers.

1. It is brass or an alloy of some type. Most likely brass.
2. 1/2 to 3/4 inches deep in concave part.
3. 5-3/8 inches in diameter. Inside hole is not quite 3/4 inches
4. How long will brass stay in the ground and decompose.
5. Only one other probable piece was found. 1-1/4 inches long with "v" hatch marks. slight curve.
6. Large section has line decoration around concave side.
7. I don't think it is the obvious.

Any other questions. I'm sending in two sections.

dgjr wants to know, and so do I..
Have at it.

DG

Attachments

• objectfront.jpg
    objectfront.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,318
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
dg39 said:
Much , much, older blurr. I dont think so. But its a direction..Put your self 100 to 150 years ago, I would think..
DG

I believe you when you say it's old. I just meant that style of lamp, not one you would buy at home depot.

John
Understood. ;D Just wanted to stay in the right direction.
Candle stick holder was the first thing I would have thought everyone would guess. I dont think so ..But show me... ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
K, part of a lamp. the upper part. why ? Because it appears to have traces of carbon on it.

The so called erosion is merely the copper that was part of the alloy, separating out.

Tropical Tramp
No visible wear , where the glass or bottom would fit. Too much of a slant on lip.
There was evidence of a fire in pit, so your corrosion idea is acceptable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too shallow for that , I think John.I"m not ruling out anything though. This is not a test, I really dont know myself. I have one idea, but its just a bit far fetched in my mind. I explain later...
DG

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
dg39 said:
Too shallow for that , I think John.I"m not ruling out anything though. This is not a test, I really dont know myself. I have one idea, but its just a bit far fetched in my mind. I explain later...
DG

I haven't a clue either, but give us a hint as to what you think it could be.

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michelle, thats the first conclusion i came to when i found it, but there is no lip in the bottom for a attachment to fit comfortable. The way the middle cone is shaped there could be no purchase, so to speak. I am not ruling it out though.
Look at it again carefully. It up sweeps to steep on the outside..Just my observation.
The lamp on the left is cobbled together. The one in the back is decorative. The one on the right is true period style. :(

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
Michelle, thats the first conclusion i came to when i found it, but there is no lip in the bottom for a attachment to fit comfortable. The way the middle cone is shaped there could be no purchase, so to speak. I am not ruling it out though.
Look at it again carefully. It up sweeps to steep on the outside..Just my observation. :(
okay,i see what you mean

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a funnel.....moonshiners..Hey it has sideboards so you dont spill a drop!!!! :D :D

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Could this really be a "nut cracker" ;D

Attachments

• 6e_1.jpg
    6e_1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 85_1.jpg
    85_1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • index 2.jpg
    index 2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,062
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bulb cover for an old camera :D :D If its brass it doesnt decompose for a long time.It tarneshes unless it's very thin..brass plate metal decomposes quicker....answer #4 Okay...am I right about brass... ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michelle said:
bulb cover for an old camera :D :D If its brass it doesnt decompose for a long time.It tarneshes unless it's very thin..brass plate metal decomposes quicker....answer #4 Okay...am I right about brass... ???

Did scratch test solid brass..I think RT may have something, when he mentioned fire would cause brass to decompose.. Some of the contents of the pit had been burned. Will not be by computer for a while. This evening if no progress is made will give my guess. i will admit I'm giving candle holder a second look, but...something is just not right for that..... :-\

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread