Found in trash pit. 1800-1900. Louisiana trading area. Indian, CW, Early settler

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgjr told me to do this. He wants to know what it is. Its a museum mystery. Found near Red River in an old trade area where Indian artifacts, CW, Early settlers and who know what lived.. From a trash pit dig. The pit was about 4 foot or more around and we have dug to about 10 feet and still uncovering layers.

1. It is brass or an alloy of some type. Most likely brass.
2. 1/2 to 3/4 inches deep in concave part.
3. 5-3/8 inches in diameter. Inside hole is not quite 3/4 inches
4. How long will brass stay in the ground and decompose.
5. Only one other probable piece was found. 1-1/4 inches long with "v" hatch marks. slight curve.
6. Large section has line decoration around concave side.
7. I don't think it is the obvious.

Any other questions. I'm sending in two sections.

dgjr wants to know, and so do I..
Have at it.

DG

Attachments

• objectfront.jpg
    objectfront.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,318

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
Re: Found in trash pit. 1800-1900. Louisiana trading area. Indian, CW, Early set

I recently found something similar at an 1800-1850s? homesite that I've been detecting. This one is 4" in diameter with a 3/8" center hole. It has been beat up and smashed a little flatter than when new, but it doesn't appear to have ever been more than about 1/4" deep. This one is of ferrous construction. Could this be another variation of the same item? I was thinking maybe part of a lamp or candlestick drip pan?

Attachments

• disk3.jpg
    disk3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 720
  • disk2.jpg
    disk2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 739
  • disk1.jpg
    disk1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
Re: Found in trash pit. 1800-1900. Louisiana trading area. Indian, CW, Early set

RealdeTayopa said:
HI Nail digger, Old automotive DC generator brush plate holder end.

Tropical Tramp
No holes for the through-bolts. These are generally also of heavier construction. This is probably only about 1/32" thick. Also, this was about 6" deep at the homesite, of which only crumbled fireplace ruins remain. The area had already completely reverted to forest when my grandfather bought the farm in the 1920's. So, I dont see how such a "modern" item would be present.

Upvote 0

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA

RealdeTayopa said:
Nail, correct, but it does appear to have the remants of three welded/riveted support devices on it similar to brush holders?

Tropical Tramp
I should have mentioned these in my original post. They are just globs of corrosion, "rusticles". I haven't had a chance to clean it up much. I'll put it in the electrolysis bath today. Maybe some lettering will show up on it after shooting the current to it.

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Kinda scared to get into this one but it does remind me of one of those real old alarm clock bells. There's quite a few shown on eBay under antique alarm clocks. could it be the striker would have worn where the corroded out area is? The picture is of one from that era but the bell isn't the same.

Attachments

• alarm clock.jpg
    alarm clock.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverswede said:
Kinda scared to get into this one but it does remind me of one of those real old alarm clock bells. There's quite a few shown on eBay under antique alarm clocks. could it be the striker would have worn where the corroded out area is? The picture is of one from that era but the bell isn't the same.
excellant thought.....

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
2c-It's a tobacco tray for an old hookah.I'll look for a photo later.dg's id that is.
spitoon......nah already thunk of it

Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone, just a thought, how about base or top plate off an air cleaner for an early auto or a stationery engine.

tinpan only a thought

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Michelle that looks dead on! The only concern I have is that the candleholder appears it might be threaded.Dg says no threads.Other than that it looks good.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys look at the top pic....there is a bolt (threaded) and a washer on top of it and under....this was one piece that held itself together separate from the "dish" then the candle holder screwed down onto the threaded bolt

Attachments

• folding candleholder.jpg
    folding candleholder.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 336
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are as close as you can get. Its a variation of the holder pictured...

Attachments

• Colonel_2[1].gif
    Colonel_2[1].gif
    5 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions