Found Metal Arrowhead at local High School today!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been hunting our local high school yard lately. The school was built around 1920 or there abouts, so there's a bit of history in the area. Last week I found a lead musketball here and I've maybe only covered 20% of the area the school sits on! :thumbsup: Today I found $2.44 in coins, a couple of memorials, and a very interesting metal arrowhead! It looks like one that might have been used for hunting. It certainly isn't a "target practice" arrowhead! :o

Can anybody tell me how old this might be? :dontknow:

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting! :hello:

Dave

Attachments

• June 4 018.jpg
    June 4 018.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 628
  • June 4 006-crop.jpg
    June 4 006-crop.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 621
  • June 4 017.jpg
    June 4 017.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 614
  • June 4 014.jpg
    June 4 014.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 686
  • June 4 015.jpg
    June 4 015.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 610
  • June 4 013.jpg
    June 4 013.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 602
  • Lilly June 4.jpg
    Lilly June 4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
The arrowhead looks alot like the ones I used back in the 70's when I started bow hunting. I think they were called Hilbre (hill bree) heads if I recall. Solid main blade with a slot to slide a razor blade insert in for the smaller blade.

Nice hunt!!

Dave

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DKinPA said:
The arrowhead looks alot like the ones I used back in the 70's when I started bow hunting. I think they were called Hilbre (hill bree) heads if I recall. Solid main blade with a slot to slide a razor blade insert in for the smaller blade.

Nice hunt!!

Dave
Yep. I agree

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Ah, razor sharp broadheads. Even better than large caliber mushroomed bullets in the school yards. Amazing what kids need for self protection these days.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That arrow head dates further back than the '70's. In the early 1950's I had a Ben Pearson lemon wood long bow, and I made my own arrows. I used that exact type of point on my hunting arrows back then. They didn't have razor inserts in those days, and I kept them sharp enough that they would stick through the bottom of my quiver, and I had to put a tin can lid in the bottom of the quiver to keep the arrows from cutting through. Trust me, if you stick one of those type points in a tree, they are almost impossible to get out, I can remember that problem a time or two.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DKinPA said:

Nice hunt!!

Dave

Thanks very much for the info Dave! :icon_thumright: I don't think this arrowhead has a "slot to slide a razor blade insert in" it? :icon_scratch: It's pretty solid and looks like its been in the ground for a long time.

Thanks again,
Dave

Woodland Detectors said:
DKinPA said:

Nice hunt!!

Dave
Yep. I agree

Thanks buddy! :icon_thumright:

rob.s said:
Almost like this one I have,..

P1050536.jpg

Thanks for this Rob! :icon_thumright: It does look similar to yours and it didn't ring up as a "ferrous iron" target.

Dave

High Plains Digger said:
Ah, razor sharp broadheads. Even better than large caliber mushroomed bullets in the school yards. Amazing what kids need for self protection these days.

I'm thinking the same thing as I dig through the dirt with my hands! Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to get stuck with the tip of a syringe or something else that's really sharp in the ground! :o

Dave

BosnMate said:
That arrow head dates further back than the '70's. In the early 1950's I had a Ben Pearson lemon wood long bow, and I made my own arrows. I used that exact type of point on my hunting arrows back then. They didn't have razor inserts in those days, and I kept them sharp enough that they would stick through the bottom of my quiver, and I had to put a tin can lid in the bottom of the quiver to keep the arrows from cutting through. Trust me, if you stick one of those type points in a tree, they are almost impossible to get out, I can remember that problem a time or two.

Thank you very much for the information BosnMate! :icon_thumright: I was thinking 40's or 50's period as well. I just don't know enough about arrowheads to date this one.

Great avatar pic man . . . is that you?
Love the photo! :icon_thumright:

Thanks again for the info and for posting,
Dave

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice old piece!
your perserverence is gonna pay off,
Keep those finds comin! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
steelheadwill said:
Nice old piece!
your perserverence is gonna pay off,
Keep those finds comin! :thumbsup:

Thanks Herbie! :icon_thumright:

Now if I could just find a a CW US Box Plate as nice as the one you found . . .
I'd be truly happy for the rest of my life! :laughing7:

Happy hunting today buddy!
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread