Found my first flower style token. Good for 5c at bar. How to clean it?

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 08292011-5.jpg
    08292011-5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 08292011-5.jpg
    08292011-5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 292

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice token! I have been studying this type of token - I call them "P-38" because the ornament on the lower part of the obverse reminds me of an oncoming P-38 fighter plane. It has a circle with two wings, each having a propeller. Actually, it is just a stock ornament used by the manufacturer of the token that consists of a circle with two sylized fleur-de-lis on either side. At any rate, I theorize that this token was made by a Chicago or Milwaukee maker ca. 1890-1900 because most of the attributed ones have been shown to come from within a few hundred miles of those towns. However, some are known from as far away as Idaho.

Be very cautious cleaning tokens. They (and the collectors of them) are usually more forgiving than for cleaning coins, though. Start with a toothbrush and water. You might progress to boiling it for a bit in Hydrogen Peroxide, then toothbrushing it. Extreme cleaning would be to use the cleaner CLR for a minute.

I can read most of the letters on it - take a magnifying glass to it and see if you can do better than what I see: L. H. MEGAEL. This evening I will do some research on the name from a genealogy standpoint. Attributing these seem to be fairly tough, although the fact that the issuer was a saloon-keeper narrows the field down a bit.

In the token-collecting community, this shape is referred to as "S8" or having 8 sacallops.

John in ID

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Nice token! I have been studying this type of token - I call them "P-38" because the ornament on the lower part of the obverse reminds me of an oncoming P-38 fighter plane. It has a circle with two wings, each having a propeller. Actually, it is just a stock ornament used by the manufacturer of the token that consists of a circle with two sylized fleur-de-lis on either side. At any rate, I theorize that this token was made by a Chicago or Milwaukee maker ca. 1890-1900 because most of the attributed ones have been shown to come from within a few hundred miles of those towns. However, some are known from as far away as Idaho.

Be very cautious cleaning tokens. They (and the collectors of them) are usually more forgiving than for cleaning coins, though. Start with a toothbrush and water. You might progress to boiling it for a bit in Hydrogen Peroxide, then toothbrushing it. Extreme cleaning would be to use the cleaner CLR for a minute.

I can read most of the letters on it - take a magnifying glass to it and see if you can do better than what I see: L. H. MEGAEL. This evening I will do some research on the name from a genealogy standpoint. Attributing these seem to be fairly tough, although the fact that the issuer was a saloon-keeper narrows the field down a bit.

In the token-collecting community, this shape is referred to as "S8" or having 8 sacallops.

John in ID

Thanks for the great info John! In case you do more research on it, the name looks to be "H. Meckel". Googling Meckel brings up some nasty gastrointestinal desease pages... made me a little queezy. But I think the first name might stand for Hearbert or Herbert.

Thanks!
Jason

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason--well I spent a while looking for an H. Meckel, but haven't turned up anything real promising. I'd suggest posting the piece in the "unknown" section of www.tokencatalog.com and letting a lot of other eyes see it. If you do, put where you found it in the details.
John in ID

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John,
Are you registered at www.tokencatalog.com?
I am registered and have submitted many of my tokens. I'm Daddytopcat.

Best Wishes,
Scott

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Scott--yep, I sure am. Also maverick editor for the Token and Medal Society. www.tokenandmedal.org
John in ID

So cool!
Glad to know someone on Richard's site!

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. I posted many of my tokens quite awhile ago and even this past week I have received notification of updates and additional info on some tokens.
I'm hooked on the site!

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Fantastic 8 scallop ya got there!
Carl

Thanks Carl - I still haven't been able to turn up any info on old H. Meckel though. Must not have been a very happening bar!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread