Found my first Geocache today by accident.

• Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date
M

michigan michael

I was out with the family today. My son and I found a bunch of bottles along side of a river yesterday. We returned to the area today. There is an old cemetery that we all decided to check out. My son found a bucket shaped object down the side of a ledge and retrieved it. It was filled with buttons, happy meal toys, and some odds and ins. It also had a log book that stated this cache has been there since October 2008. I thought this was very cool. I honestly never heard of this until now and want to buy a GPS. What would be a cheaper one that would work good in this area? We all got a kick out of this and wanted to share this with all the T netters. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• cem.jpg
    cem.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 778
  • cem2.jpg
    cem2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 826
  • cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 789
  • cem.jpg
    cem.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 774
  • cem2.jpg
    cem2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 812
  • cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 770
Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that was neat. Did it say how many people have fund it and signed the book that was in it......Matt

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to geocache all the time! i have signed a many of the log books in my little area of michigan lol its a neat hobby

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an e-trac is a cheap disposable gps. They are all the same just more bells and whistles on some. Hope you left it where it was with an old coin and a note. Cool it will be the treasure hunting of the future. Some people will just leave better items than others.

T-Net might consider a geo caching page on here just for charter members(i need to join). I would leave cw bullets and old dirty wheaties : )

Regards,
TnMtns

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
It is alot of FUN i have been doing it since 2002..

Go here..
make free acc.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/

once you have done that you can get started..
prob pick up a used GPS for under $100.

garmin Etrac or ledgend good starter models.

I have a cache that i hid in 2002 which has had

Logged Visits ( 261 total. Visit the Gallery (7 images) )
233 11 16 1

some from as far away as the netherlands..west coast of Canada here..

anyways make yourself a Nic @ above page & You will see there is more than 1 cache near U for It is WORLD wide..

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

mlayers said:
Hey that was neat. Did it say how many people have fund it and signed the book that was in it......Matt
Yeah everyone had to write the date and time when they found it and what they took and what they placed in the pail. I took the No button and put a quarter, lighter, plastic ball and a penny. Wish I would of known I would of put better things in. There was like a dozen people that have found and put items in. It was first found in October 2008. Very cool hobby. DISCLAIMER. NO GRASS WAS HARMED IN PURSUIT OF THIS TREASURE! ;D LOL

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

TnMountains said:
an e-trac is a cheap disposable gps. They are all the same just more bells and whistles on some. Hope you left it where it was with an old coin and a note. Cool it will be the treasure hunting of the future. Some people will just leave better items than others.

T-Net might consider a geo caching page on here just for charter members(i need to join). I would leave cw bullets and old dirty wheaties : )

Regards,
TnMtns
Yep added my treasure and closed it back up and left it where it was found. I really hope this catches on. It was a real cool treat.

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the garmin êtrex line of units....I have an etrex legend and it works great

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool I would love to find something like this we have a GPS now so I will ck out this sight! ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a good old scavenger hunt to a degree, except you are just looking for one location. I just hope someone that may stumble upon it understand what it is and doesn't walk off with it to ruin the fun for everyone else.

Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, Sharpshooter II
Every time I get a collection of "treasures" gathered up, I find some sort of container to seal them in
and plant them somewhere. Then I make up a story full of clues using nearby landmark names, etc.
and write the stories in my journal.
Hopefully, when I'm gone, the grandkids will read the journal and have hours of adventure tracking
down my hides and discovering the kind of things grandpa found valuable way back when.
I record the GPS coordinates as well and store them in the lock box in case they give up trying to
follow my trail of clues.
You can use your GPS for lots of other things as well. Works to mark a good fishing spot out in
the middle of a lake. Also, it will help you find your way home if lost in the woods.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Magil said:
Every time I get a collection of "treasures" gathered up, I find some sort of container to seal them in
and plant them somewhere. Then I make up a story full of clues using nearby landmark names, etc.
and write the stories in my journal.
Hopefully, when I'm gone, the grandkids will read the journal and have hours of adventure tracking
down my hides and discovering the kind of things grandpa found valuable way back when.
I record the GPS coordinates as well and store them in the lock box in case they give up trying to
follow my trail of clues.
You can use your GPS for lots of other things as well. Works to mark a good fishing spot out in
the middle of a lake. Also, it will help you find your way home if lost in the woods.

That is a pretty cool idea. You've inspired me. I will try the same with some of my finds.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great post MemMag. I have never found one but have heard of the hobby. I would not have known what to put in it either. Sounds fun and a gps is fun as well. Thanks for sharing your day.

TnMtns

kwkstar

Aug 2, 2009
Ossian. IN
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 30
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Memorial Magnet,
I am a member of http://www.geocaching.com and have found a few geocaching in fact geocaching caused me to buy my new Minelab XT30 because I saw so many great places to use a detector. ;D I haven't had one for 5 years but got one now :icon_thumleft:

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
i found my first geo cache while metal detecting about 6 years ago i had never heard of it at the time either

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread