Found my first Wheatie...

mncricket

Greenie
Oct 15, 2009
I found my first wheatie today....I found it in an area of where an old beach changing house used to be. It is COATED with green stuff. I can make out the "one cent" on the back and the outline of Mr. Pres on the front. I can not however make out the year. Any hints on how to get it clean? Right now it's hanging out in a glass of vinegar (hopefully that won't hurt it any)....

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all. Welcome to tnet and congrats on your first wheat. Vinegar will make it look new again, at least the ones I tried vinegar on. If your finding wheats there should or may be silver around too. That might be a hotspot. Try to figure out where and what used to be where. It could pay off for you. Good luck

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first wheatie! Keep at this great hobby and you're sure to find a crapload more of 'em! :laughing7:

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, that's how its starts, a wheat, then more wheats and then silver, keep looking you'll
find Lots! :thumbsup:

Good luck,
HH.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Wheats are like sweet little reminders that you are in the right area for SILVER. Almost every time i find silver I find a wheat penny or two first. Then when you find a bunch of both you can average out your silver to wheat ratio. My god I'm a nerd. I knew this going into metal detecting though :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread