What's new

Found my second flat button

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,472
Reaction score
10,907
Golden Thread
0
Back to church site after Buffalo nickel and rosette style button yesterday. Got this small flat one. I don't know if it has a design on it or not. Heavy patina.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9478.webp
    IMG_9478.webp
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9479.webp
    IMG_9479.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
Upvote 18
That soldered shank makes it old old I believe. I'm now wondering if there was an older house before 1901 house. Maybe I'm getting into another layer in the ground. This button was deeper than my normal targets
 
That soldered shank makes it old old I believe. I'm now wondering if there was an older house before 1901 house. Maybe I'm getting into another layer in the ground. This button was deeper than my normal targets
Well found Nathan, hopefully you'll get more older recoveries deeper down.

I have found many sites that have had older items.
Buttons are a hard ones to actually date a site.
They could have been on a garment for decades, and could of been on a previous garment for decades.
Clothes were made to last, wool could last the test of time.
Also newer homes were often on or near the older original house.
 
Well found Nathan, hopefully you'll get more older recoveries deeper down.

I have found many sites that have had older items.
Buttons are a hard ones to actually date a site.
They could have been on a garment for decades, and could of been on a previous garment for decades.
Clothes were made to last, wool could last the test of time.
Also newer homes were often on or near the older original house.
I'm going to keep hammering this place as long as the preacher keeps letting me. Been doing it for three years
 
I'm going to keep hammering this place as long as the preacher keeps letting me. Been doing it for three years
Many times at sites it takes alot of return trips to uncover everything.
Get rid of iron, and then another deeper item appears on another hunt.
Then the site becomes a old friend, where you know every part and it's secrets.
 
Best I can do on the image or lack there of
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9483.webp
    IMG_9483.webp
    3.5 MB · Views: 63
I love buttons:thumbsup:
I think it's just wear marks that look like something on the front. Keep at it though on the site.
 
Congrats on your flat button, those are always fun to find.
 
Back to church site after Buffalo nickel and rosette style button yesterday. Got this small flat one. I don't know if it has a design on it or not. Heavy patina.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom