Found my very first Indian Head

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son got invited to a birthday party at the local park here in Candia ,N.H.So as we were leaving the house I decided to bring my detector along just in case I had an opportunity.I've searched this park pretty heavily over the last 2 years.I even found my first two Mercs there this spring.Well today I found something a bit older than those Mercs.It was an 1864 Indian Head.This is my first Indian Head and my oldest American coin to date.Also managed to find a dollar in clad.Ill try to get a pic posted soon have to try to get it cleaned.Does anyone know where I can get it professionally cleaned and professionally gradedin the N.H. area.I would appreciate any helpful info.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try the vinager and baking soda to clean it. Can not tell you where to get it graded at......Matt

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Congrat's on your first IH.

Do you by chance know if it is a type 2 or type 3?

Type 2 is sometimes called a fatty and it well be alot thicker then a wheat.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
By all means never ever try to clean an indin cent. Especially this one.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg on the I.H.! :icon_thumright: You never forget your first one and an older one at that. Toothbrush, warm water and soap is about all I would do with it.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice, mine too was a 1864. Look through a loop around the neck area for the "L" for Longacre. That would be worth a few more bucks. I have found the trick to cleaning Injuns is to go very very slow with whatever method you choose. If it has any pitting to it all all, you will only make it worse. As far as the grading goes, that would be your personal preference. As for me unless it is really rare one, which mine was not, I would do the slow cleaning, make it look good and then put it in a case of your own. 2"x 2" or whatever..Congrats on your first of many more Injuns :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread