What's new

Found my white whale... Diamond ring hopefully.

Hunter101

Full Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2016
Messages
225
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
0
Location
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went out to my old junior high that is almost 100 years old. Man there is a clad fest to be had there. I get about state minimum wage of 7.25 an hour. So I'm in the process of finding everything I can on the property. They are slowly pulling the sod to prepare the coming school year to turn the junior high into a second campus to the high school. Strange I know. Well haven't found any silver coins yet.

I was detecting around the only tree on campus which is a giant oak. In the aerial maps, I've seen the tree has been there since at least the 70's which is as far as the maps go. Well I found this lovely ring. First I have to say, the ground is t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e. If it weren't for the fact they will be removing the sod as well as the first 6 inches of ground, I wouldn't metal detect there. It is all dead grass and I can't get my shovel to go deeper than 2 inches. Well by the tree, I found a solid 82 signal and I mean SOLID. I had never seen anything like it before. Normally, my copper pennies come in as 79-80, my clad dimes bounce on 81 and 83, and my silver dimes bounce from 84-85. Well this was a very solid 82. No matter what I did, I could not change the number. So I thought what the hay, dig it. I pluck it up with my screwdriver because that's the only thing that will semi pierce the dirt. I pull the ring from about an inch down and think "this is a nice junk ring". I take a break and think it's too shiny. I look for markings and sure enough there is the 925.

So the ring itself is a silver ring. It looks like it has some gold electroplating. It has ten diamonds around the top and a marble looking stone in the middle. Haven't had a chance to take it to a jeweler but a member of my family who is obsessed with jewelry, did some research and thinks the stones are real and the marble is actually the rare variety of red amber. Who knows? I'll take it to the jeweler later this week. Would be cool if they were real diamonds because then I would have found my white whale. At least it's silver! That makes 10 silver rings and 2 gold rings this year! All but one of those were found between June 1st and today. I really enjoy this AT Pro now that I am use to it.

image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
Upvote 40
It is a very nice ring, also a newer one. There is a chance the diamonds are real but a very slim chance. They do put diamonds in silver but not often. One way to possibly tell is on the bottom of the head, are their holes under the diamonds? If not almost a certainty they are fake.

Congrats on the silver ring. It really does look great. If the diamonds were real they would be worthless anyway. I have a whole ton of them that size and larger that have been taken out of rings.
 
It is a very nice ring, also a newer one. There is a chance the diamonds are real but a very slim chance. They do put diamonds in silver but not often. One way to possibly tell is on the bottom of the head, are their holes under the diamonds? If not almost a certainty they are fake.

Congrats on the silver ring. It really does look great. If the diamonds were real they would be worthless anyway. I have a whole ton of them that size and larger that have been taken out of rings.


There are holes underneath. I think they could be real and if so, great. I'm not worried about value. I'm just amazed out of everything I've found, I've not had a diamond. If not real, great! It's a silver ring and will be stored in my display case with all the others just the same. I'm just excited I'm finally finding some good stuff with the AT Pro.
 
Spectacular ring find and I hope that it is the real deal anyway "congrats" to you & thanks for posting the pictures and story & I wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishin with your ATP.

Texas ED
 
Nice looking sterling ring.
 
Lovely ring either way!
 
Heck yeah! Beautiful ring!!
 
Good luck! I remember my first few diamond rings, I was totally stoked... And then came to realize, along with the first gold rings, that the value people pay in the stores, is no where near the actual low value of what they're worth...

Discovering "Mele" stones (tiny stones), even though they may be of high quality... aren't worth more than about a buck a point. (100 points to a carat), was a real disappointment. Set stones, have a higher actual value, simply because the time cost of setting them is somewhere between $4-$10 per stone. But, even if your ring is real, with about $10 in diamonds in there, it should be enjoyed for the beauty of the ring.

It's one reason, btw, that I absolutely LOVE sterling rings. They're worth so little, that I have absolutely no guilt keeping them, enjoying them, and giving them away. Gold on the other hand is worth enough that I have problems giving that away. LOL

Skippy

I like that comment a lot. If they are real then I have finally gotten my white whale. If not, well it still looks great in my new display cabinets. As much as I would like a valuable item, I'm more ecstatic about the find itself and the memory it made. Plus the wife loves wearing them. Happy wife, happy life. That's the most valuable part about it haha
 
Hey great job!!! sucks that those little diamonds aren't worth much but I think the ring as a whole would be worth a decent price. My night mare finding a 18k ring with the stone missing I would have to bring dirt home to sift.. The at pro is a great machine great in water also. This is just a first diamond whale more will swim your way.. I also have a display case kids and wife wont leave alone.. Good job!!@!!!!!
 
There are holes underneath. I think they could be real and if so, great. I'm not worried about value. I'm just amazed out of everything I've found, I've not had a diamond. If not real, great! It's a silver ring and will be stored in my display case with all the others just the same. I'm just excited I'm finally finding some good stuff with the AT Pro.
That's the spirit, Hunter101!
 
Congratualtions on the nice silver ring find! :occasion14:
 
Nice find. Do you have a black light? If none of the "diamonds" fluoresce, that is to say, seem to reflect back a different color than the purplish light itself, then they are cz's or glass. Judging by the .925 metal, and appearance of the ring, as well as the location it was found, I would expect that they are not diamonds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom