What's new

Found nice size herd this last weekend

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
1,831
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not done much with half dollars, as there is way too many CRHers here in the North Texas area, and I am getting tired of the extremely meager finds. I did pick up a couple of boxes of nickels to look thru as it was too hot to get out and do much else. I finally found my 100th war nickel, along with numbers 101 thru 103. Amazingly I also found 14 buffalo nickels, 8 with full or partial dates, and 6 slicks. One of the slicks I knew was a 1913 from the reverse mound, and the mint mark area had good detail, so I know it is a 1913 plain. This makes the second of these I have found. I wish I would have picked up more boxes now, as the buffs were pretty well dispersed thru the rolls. As soon as I get a chance I am going to start acid treating my slicks, to see what kind of an acid treated set I can put together. May get lucky and find a key date. Even if it is acid treated a key date will still command a little bit of a premium.
 
Upvote 0
I agree, nic a date the slicks. I'm going to try and put together a set with the nic a date keys (I have a sack of no date buffs). Keep us posted on your progress.

JasonB
 
Hey, do you think either of you guys or anyone for that matter could post a photo, or better yet, a before and after photo of a nick a date treated coin.

Thanks in advance.

Mojo
 
Mojo,

I've acid treated a hundred or more buffalo nickels and the attached (pic came from eBay) is a good representation of a successful restoration. Sometimes you can apply it too many times and the nickel would become discolored (brown).

The before would be a slick nickel.

I'm out of town this weekend but I'll post an actual before and after when I get back.

JasonB
 

Attachments

  • 1917 Full.webp
    1917 Full.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 1917 Buff Close.webp
    1917 Buff Close.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 373
JasonB said:
I've acid treated a hundred or more buffalo nickels and the attached (pic came from eBay) is a good representation of a successful restoration. JasonB
Will it work as well on the reverse to bring out the mint mark?
 
Yes, it works equally well on the mintmark. If you resell them be sure to disclose whether you acid treated the date only or date and mm, etc.

It's easy to do and pretty fun. The nickels are slugs otherwise, so if you find a key date it's a bonus.

JasonB
 
Appreciate the info. I have two buffalo books, one to fill with full or partial dates, one for acid treated. Be interesting to see how much of a set I can put together on each.
 
Thanks for the link Dr.

It is amazing what that stuff can do.

Jason, looking forward to your photo's.

Mojo
 
I sold a bunch of the treated buffalos on ebay that were key dates and while they did not bring a ton of money some brought decent amounts. They came in a coin collection I bought and I did not want them so off to ebay they went.
 
As promised, although late:

Before and After pics of acid restored Buff Dates:
 

Attachments

  • Buff Nic Date Bef.webp
    Buff Nic Date Bef.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Buff After.webp
    Buff After.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 274
good camera you have there, and the buffalo aint't bad either :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks. $60 coin microscope from Ebay. Friends son got the buff in change. I agree, nice find. The nic a date makes it more fun.

JasonB
 
I wonder how many of those get sold to unsuspecting customers on ebay! Is there a definate way to tell if it has been treated? Some of them seem as though it wasn't done, or else I need glasses :laughing7:
 
I think I can tell. It leave the face a little porous. Of course, buyer beware is always required. I'm sure some get passed off.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom