What's new

Found out what suck with CWR dimes

silveraddict

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2016
Messages
481
Reaction score
1,012
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
I got everything set up.
Opened a business account at BofA so I can now deposit bags of coins
(No rewrapping)
My CU will sell me all the bags I want.
AND the coin machine broke down.
Maybe a month or so before it gets fixed.
So, today I decided to go out banking looking for dimes.
Went to about 15 banks and ended up with $1390.00 in dimes.
32 CWR & 238 MWR
8 rolls that were rerolled (one end folded over)
Started going through those 8 rolls
Some A** HOLE coin hunter is stuffing the rerolled with pennies.
76 pennies in those 8 rolls.
I hope this is not the case in the rest of the CWR
20210611_173639.webp20210611_174351.webp
 
Upvote 0
I feel your pain. Has happened to me a number of times over the years - but even worse - a dime on each end and the rest stuffed with pennies. Probably cost me to the tune of $100-150.
The way you can prevent it is to feel (or kind of like squeeze) the roll on the side (not the ends) when you get them handed to you - if the paper gives a little, its dimes, if it is tight, open the roll a bit to see if its pennies. At least 3 times I know of that this has saved me - probably about $100 in the more recent years.

One bank I had dumped at used to open all the dimes and the teller told me that people filled the rolls with pennies.
 
I sometimes carry with me a small GRAM pocket SCALE and weigh the rolls right in front of the teller. And CJ9 is also right about feeling a difference in the texture. I've had this happen to me also, but not in such bold outright stupidity. One time I got a whole box of CWRs dimes & 28-rolls were short by one or two, of which one of the rolls was short by about 10 dimes since they were laid in sideways, total shortage was about $5.50.
 
Last edited:
i saw this as well. And CJ9 is right about the roll diameter and Dozer also about the weight. Sadly there is no shortage of jerks and crooks.
 
I had foreign coins in half dollar, quarter and dime rolls.
 
I had foreign coins in half dollar, quarter and dime rolls.

Sometimes strange coins filter INTO what rolls we are checking. Years ago I found a badly worn Large Copper Cent in a roll of MWR half dollars. Foreign coins DO filter in sometimes. In my dime boxes, I very often find Canadian dimes (even a silver one).
 
Yup no shortage of people trying to stiff us. I routinely get a penny or two or accept the occasional obviously short roll. Sometimes I feel/ notice theres a penny or two but say nothing. If i felt like it was full of pennies I would decline and show the teller. The other day I got $185 in cwrs. No silver but many of the rolls contained 3-4 extra dimes so i ended up $3 over to use toward short rolls. If I pick a penny out I leave it one short but if its way short I fix it to 113.5 g or as close as I can afford to with what loose dimes I have from over stuffed rolls or coinstar finds. Its just part of the game. I got a $9 quarter roll the other day. Ugh. I leave all foreign coins in situ so the next guy gets something fun. Leave em better than you found them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom