Found Shiny Silver Rock/Metal

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was taking the hoe to my little garden and found what appears to be Galena I think. It's a bit shinier and lighter weight than specimens I have handled before. Could that be to more silver content?

The largest piece weighs 6.6oz the next smallest 1.6oz and the smallest .5oz. The shotgun shell is 3in.

Found in very NW Ga Mtn area in small valley. There are a few creeks close by.

Opinions on what it is?

I am very new to all this :)

~ Hammer Stone

gelena.jpg gelena2.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It has a slight resemblance of slag. (note - gas bubbles)
But the shine is unusually high.

Magnetic? Can a knife scratch it? Rubbed against unglazed porcelain, what colour do you get?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hammer Stone

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the look.

It's not magnetic & it doesn't scratch with a sharp pocket knife. I don't have any unglazed porcelain so I couldn't check that out.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It's a bit shinier and lighter weight than specimens I have handled before." Not saying what it might be, because I'm not an expert of any kind, but all the chunks of galena I have are quite heavy for their size, as the silver and lead ore content they have makes them weighty.

Upvote 0

OldeToby

Jun 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a specimen similar to the ones you have pictured on the right hand side, I found mine as a child and took it to many in the field geology and none could identify it, and comparing it to galena or antimony... well galena has the right color but not the right texture or weight, the antimony is similar but antimony isn't porous and it's still too bright in color, this is like a blackish silver, what you people are seeing is the actual color of the specimen, there are no alterations to lighting or sheen. I have tasted mine it has a similar taste to a coin but doesn't have the sharp metallic taste to it, just the bite of it... almost like biting on aluminum foil, but harder than marble. The coloration is similar to how bismuth's sheen has the ability to dampen light and darken light. If that makes sense. Mine is also not magnetic and I haven't had it rub off on anything, it just scratches. But the weight is what makes this such a mystery my specimen is like the size of a quarter in with but weights about as much as a nickel well anyways just giving some feedback.

Upvote 0

tuffstrider

Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a pretty late reply but anyways, I believe that could be from chromite processing, since you said that it had an appearance of slag. I have come across rocks like that in tailings from a chromite processing plant. Its pretty light, has a metallic luster, is not magnetic and the grains are pretty small. Its used to make stainless steel and is also used in refractory bricks. I have read somewhere once that Georgia has got some chromite deposits. Check this link

Full text of "Hand-book, mineral resources of Georgia"

and this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromite

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread