Found Some Gold in New England

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X5, Garrett AT Pro, Red Racer 2, Fisher F22, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look a trip to New England and found my first East Coast gold. I was really happy with a speck in every other pan, but when I saw that piece trapped in the 1/4" screen, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was mica at first until I tried breaking it and instead it bent.

Attachments

• 20231209_184328.jpg
    20231209_184328.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20231210_002240.jpg
    20231210_002240.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 24

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I look a trip to New England and found my first East Coast gold. I was really happy with a speck in every other pan, but when I saw that piece trapped in the 1/4" screen, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was mica at first until I tried breaking it and instead it bent.
When ya find one like that in a 1/4" screen it makes you wonder "what have I been screening off?". If you are just panning you might try some production panning* without screening. You will move more dirt in a day and more dirt often translates to more gold.

Good luck!

*the majority of time spent panning is on the last little bit of concentrated material so when you know you are on the gold do some production panning...Fill the pan and just pan down to black sands/heavies then refill on top and pan down again...rinse and repeat over and over. You end up with super concentrates to finish pan later or in camp or at home.

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
*the majority of time spent panning is on the last little bit of concentrated material so when you know you are on the gold do some production panning...Fill the pan and just pan down to black sands/heavies then refill on top and pan down again...rinse and repeat over and over. You end up with super concentrates to finish pan later or in camp or at home.

I like doing something like this, but I bring a 2 gal bucket, and just dump my black sands in that. Take it home and either run it through a sluice or pan it during the times I can't get out.

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X5, Garrett AT Pro, Red Racer 2, Fisher F22, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When ya find one like that in a 1/4" screen it makes you wonder "what have I been screening off?". If you are just panning you might try some production panning* without screening. You will move more dirt in a day and more dirt often translates to more gold.

Good luck!

Thanks so much Arizau for the tip. I didn't think I'd find any pickers so screening seemed logical, but now that I know bigger pieces are present production panning makes more sense!

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like doing something like this, but I bring a 2 gal bucket, and just dump my black sands in that. Take it home and either run it through a sluice or pan it during the times I can't get out.
I teach Earth science so I brought a bucket of classified sands back for the kids to learn how to pan. I won't lie though, I've been really tempted to pan it myself😄

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Hey Foreverteachable a classifying screen of 1/4 inch can be made with a bottom half of a bucket and some 1/4 inch screen ! EZ to make in any size you need. ! Cut the bottom out of the bucket and form the screen to fit inside and use small bolts/ rivets to secure the screen to the bucket . Ive made many in this fashion ! Maybe a class project ??? Good Luck !

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that!
I buy paydirt bags for my boys to pan. They get better gold than I usually find, and I get to keep the gold I find. Win-win.
I bought a few bags myself and want to add it to the sediment if I get my wife out on the stream. If she gets the fever it would be great.

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Foreverteachable a classifying screen of 1/4 inch can be made with a bottom half of a bucket and some 1/4 inch screen ! EZ to make in any size you need. ! Cut the bottom out of the bucket and form the screen to fit inside and use small bolts/ rivets to secure the screen to the bucket . Ive made many in this fashion ! Maybe a class project ??? Good Luck !
Thanks Russau! That would be great for them to do. Many kids don't even know how to use a tape measure at my school so incorporating some projects like that would be perfect.

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great plan! Salt the pans! haha
I might have to steal that idea from you
I am going to book a night at the hotel next to the river too, because she declined panning the stuff I brought home yesterday. It is work and money but I'll make it happen😁

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The fever is strong haha, makes us do things normal people wouldn't. But a day on the river is good for the soul. Good luck, and look forward to hearing about the results!!

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fever is strong haha, makes us do things normal people wouldn't. But a day on the river is good for the soul. Good luck, and look forward to hearing about the results!!
Thanks BoulderTroll. I had some of my students pan some of the concentrates and one girl found 2 little flakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread