Found some heavies from four years ago

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I was going through some boxes yesterday and found a bag I had thrown some heavies in about four years back. I was doing some test runs and was only at this spot for about as long as it took to dig and run four five gallon buckets through my little sluice. Lightening started up and I knew the creek would be a raging flow in no time, so I washed out the carpets and packed em up. Spent a few minutes panning them yesterday and this was what was there. It isn't much, but it is enough to let me know there is gold where I was and I WILL be going back!

~Nash~

Attachments

• pannedgold2.jpg
    pannedgold2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 611
Upvote 0

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Thats some nice looking gold. Those little flecks you see off to the side are what I usually find around here. I do have a spot with larger gold, but its at altitude, (about 3000' above sea level, compared to 600' here).

Looks like you found a spot well worth a return trip with supplies. Good luck!

F.

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Functional said:
Thats some nice looking gold. Those little flecks you see off to the side are what I usually find around here. I do have a spot with larger gold, but its at altitude, (about 3000' above sea level, compared to 600' here).

Looks like you found a spot well worth a return trip with supplies. Good luck!

F.

If I had to venture a guess, I was probably somewhere around the 3500 foot level where I got this gold. Most of what I found on that trip was thinner flake gold and LOTS of flour gold, but this stuff is nice and thick and chunky. I will certainly be returning to the area ready to stay for a couple of weeks. This gold was all from above the waterline, so my guess is whatever else was there at the time hasn't gone anywhere. Could be a productive trip. I will post more pics of my gold after I go....probably in september as this month is far too full for the drive to this spot.

Besides, A guy HAS to catch a few salmon this month!

~Nash~

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Nashoba said:
If I had to venture a guess, I was probably somewhere around the 3500 foot level where I got this gold.
That seems to be about right for around this area too. I guess people aren't big on risking their vehicles on the back logging roads. The few people I've seen up the in mountains all have 4X4's and ATV's.
Most of what I found on that trip was thinner flake gold and LOTS of flour gold, but this stuff is nice and thick and chunky.
We've got flour and flake gold in areas like the Similkimeen River, (along with some tiny pin head sized platinum nuggets), but even there, I just don't see many people panning and I've never seen anyone nugget shooting with an MD there.
I will certainly be returning to the area ready to stay for a couple of weeks. This gold was all from above the waterline, so my guess is whatever else was there at the time hasn't gone anywhere. Could be a productive trip.
By the looks of it, it will be a productive trip, considering the time you spent there and how much you found. Several years ago I found a few books in an old library. These were small leather bound books by Mark Twain that I had never even heard of before, (unfortunately, someone swiped them and several other items, when I was away on a prospecting trip).

Anyway, one of them was a story on mining and there was mention of what he referred to as "pot mining". Basically it involved following a water course up stream and panning each side until the gold ran out, or reduced in quantity. Then panning each bank until you found where it was coming from and working in a zig zag pattern up the side of the hill narrowing your search as you went, until you found the spot most of it was coming from. That was known as the "pot". I don't remember many details about the book, but that part of the story stuck with me for about 25 years now.
I will post more pics of my gold after I go....probably in september as this month is far too full for the drive to this spot.

~Nash~

Looking forward to the pics, of the gold and the fish. Good luck with both!

F.

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Functional said:
Nashoba said:
If I had to venture a guess, I was probably somewhere around the 3500 foot level where I got this gold.
That seems to be about right for around this area too. I guess people aren't big on risking their vehicles on the back logging roads. The few people I've seen up the in mountains all have 4X4's and ATV's.
Most of what I found on that trip was thinner flake gold and LOTS of flour gold, but this stuff is nice and thick and chunky.
We've got flour and flake gold in areas like the Similkimeen River, (along with some tiny pin head sized platinum nuggets), but even there, I just don't see many people panning and I've never seen anyone nugget shooting with an MD there.
I will certainly be returning to the area ready to stay for a couple of weeks. This gold was all from above the waterline, so my guess is whatever else was there at the time hasn't gone anywhere. Could be a productive trip.
By the looks of it, it will be a productive trip, considering the time you spent there and how much you found. Several years ago I found a few books in an old library. These were small leather bound books by Mark Twain that I had never even heard of before, (unfortunately, someone swiped them and several other items, when I was away on a prospecting trip).

Anyway, one of them was a story on mining and there was mention of what he referred to as "pot mining". Basically it involved following a water course up stream and panning each side until the gold ran out, or reduced in quantity. Then panning each bank until you found where it was coming from and working in a zig zag pattern up the side of the hill narrowing your search as you went, until you found the spot most of it was coming from. That was known as the "pot". I don't remember many details about the book, but that part of the story stuck with me for about 25 years now.
I will post more pics of my gold after I go....probably in september as this month is far too full for the drive to this spot.

~Nash~

Looking forward to the pics, of the gold and the fish. Good luck with both!

F.

Actually the technique you are talking about is one I use myself. I did it on my last trip to a claim and found the ground upstream of that claim was open. The gold continued on up and stopped (actually it changed from that like the pics pics shown to small thin flake and flour) at a small ravine with a trickle of water coming down. It is a very remote area with a LOT of rattlesnakes. I plan on hitting it in the early spring when some water is coming down hard enough to use a sluice. I am guessing it will be a great time with some decent gold for sure!

~Nash~

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Dang, looks good! Nice to find gold with a little meat on its bones. :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
when i get back from dredgeing sometimes i forget to remove my cons,gold from my enclosed trailer.or sometimes i put it in my garage and forget about it only to find it during the winter months when out in my garage doing something else. what a pleasent suprise it is to see this material again!im slowly gettting it all into one location to keep a eye on it!

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Jeffro said:
Nice tinkers there Nashoba! ;)
Thanks bud..I am sure you've seen plenty like 'em from down your way! Wasn't too awful far from where we planned on going last spring.
I STILL want to try to get down there sometime this fall, but I may be living in far northern Washington by then. Reckon there's gold up on Mt. Baker though

~Nash~

S

stefen

Nashoba said:
Jeffro said:
Nice tinkers there Nashoba! ;)
Thanks bud..I am sure you've seen plenty like 'em from down your way! Wasn't too awful far from where we planned on going last spring.
I STILL want to try to get down there sometime this fall, but I may be living in far northern Washington by then. Reckon there's gold up on Mt. Baker though

~Nash~

In several weeks I will be spending some time in LaConnor and Anacordes...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread