What's new

Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

shane41

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
369
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

Went to a park near the house which is in the city. There is a small area of woods. I hunted in there and found 2 Winchester Repeater NO 12 shells and , one Luger 9 mm shell. The woods are now right on the city street, so I was wondering if these shells are from years ago. Have no idea about ammo. Maybe someone can enlighten me Most of the park is open space with a tot lot, outdoor pools etc. Hope the Pics are clear enough . Thanks for the help Shane
 

Attachments

  • Winchester Repeater 2 Guage.webp
    Winchester Repeater 2 Guage.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Luger 9 M M   R P.webp
    Luger 9 M M R P.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Winchester Repearter 12 Guage.webp
    Winchester Repearter 12 Guage.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

hi Shane,

I have found those Repeaters some times. They are older ones, I am pretty sure late 1890's to late 1920's or 30's. They're definitely old... save 'em up and make a display :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

1901-1920 :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

kuger said:
1901-1920 :icon_thumleft:
Wow did not think there were that old. I knew they went not just used recently, because like I said the park is very near houses etc. Have to go back and check out more of the woods. Whats left of the wooded area is only about 100 yards wide by about 2 blocks long. Thanks for the Info.
 
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

Hi There,

Nice Finds! Shotgun brass is one of my favorite finds. I am trying to get as many headstamps as I can. Below is a link to a great starting point for researching different headstamps.

If you look at the Winchester section, it states that this shell was manufactured between 1896-1938. It also states that between 1901-1920 it had a 1901 on it instead of the name Winchester and after 1927 the majority of the shells had "Made in the USA" on it. If this site is correct wouldn't that date the shell from 1896-1900 or 1921-1927 or am I totally confused? :icon_scratch:

Doug

Here is that link
http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm
 
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

turtlefoot13 said:
Hi There,

Nice Finds! Shotgun brass is one of my favorite finds. I am trying to get as many headstamps as I can. Below is a link to a great starting point for researching different headstamps.

If you look at the Winchester section, it states that this shell was manufactured between 1896-1938. It also states that between 1901-1920 it had a 1901 on it instead of the name Winchester and after 1927 the majority of the shells had "Made in the USA" on it. If this site is correct wouldn't that date the shell from 1896-1900 or 1921-1927 or am I totally confused? :icon_scratch:

Doug

Here is that link
http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm
Doug I read the article on the web. It is confusing. Maybe the ones I found go back to 1896??? Thanks for the info. Now I am more confused LOL
 
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

I truly hope that yours is a 19th century brass. I found my first positive 19th century about four weeks ago. It is a W.R.A. Co. Star 10 guage made from 1884-1894. I am sure someone who knows more about shotgun headstamps will be able to help.

Doug
 
Re: Found some spent shells. Wonder if they are old ones?

The R-P stands for Remington-Peters and the dates given for it are 1960-present. I hope this helps.

Doug
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom