Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I met up with fellow Tnetter CountryguyNY and we searched for some cellar holes in the woods. Found one of them that was on an 1875 map and did a little hunting. Only real find for me was this nice little flower button. The back reads "Orange Gilt Stand." i think. This is the smallest button I have ever seen - measures only 1 centimeter. Anyone know what this was used for? It was real tough finding it...

Attachments

• 2012-05-05_21-00-26_430.jpg
    2012-05-05_21-00-26_430.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 2012-05-05_21-02-08_902.jpg
    2012-05-05_21-02-08_902.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Measures 1 centimeter, perhaps? At 1mm in diameter it would be too small to be seen. I have one tiny tombac button that is not bigger than its shank which would probably give that one a run for its money. Great find!

-Buckles

My relic friend and I have a few that size from 1700's and 1800's
would have been cuffs or womans neck buttons - if you see some old movies or painting
some womans dresses or even some dandy shirts had tiny buttons to button up the neck area
some might have just been decorative cuffs like we have now
some could be for childrens pants / leggings
most colonial short pants (where they just cover the calf) had small buttons too

My relic friend and I have a few that size from 1700's and 1800's
would have been cuffs or womans neck buttons - if you see some old movies or painting
some womans dresses or even some dandy shirts had tiny buttons to button up the neck area
some might have just been decorative cuffs like we have now
some could be for childrens pants / leggings
most colonial short pants (where they just cover the calf) had small buttons too

I agree with most of the above although more likely post-1800.
The smallest I have is 8mm, & quite a few at 10mm.

Thanks for the info everyone...most of the other finds from this area have been early/mid 1800s so the dates you gave make sense.

Thanks for the info everyone...most of the other finds from this area have been early/mid 1800s so the dates you gave make sense.

1800-1830 fits these types.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back