What's new

Found these on my propety.. take a look

Boxtopp

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
57
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lake county Ca
Detector(s) used
Se mxt tiger shark
First off like to say i really enjoy all your posts. Been lurking here off and on for years.
I just moved to the out skirts of Lower Lake Ca. I've been a mder for about 15+ years,
so my eyes are pretty well trained on the ground.
I got a natural spring on my property that has been used by the native Americans.
Haven't found anything earth shattering yet but really enjoy looking and finding arrowheads and other
possible tools they used.
I don't have much knowledge about Indian artifacts but would love to learn.
What i do know is this is Pomo nation and they got roots here longer than 8000+ years according to one of
the books on Lake County history.
I welcome any wisdom and any of these artifacts.
thanks again Eric

 

Attachments

  • IMG_0770.webp
    IMG_0770.webp
    281.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0781.webp
    IMG_0781.webp
    285.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0786.webp
    IMG_0786.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0
Hey Eric!!(fellow NYL button finder :icon_thumright:)I dont talk much about "artifact",gathering,but do know a little about it....

The unique thing about Clear Lake is the source of several obsidian outcrops the Indians had there.Konocti being one of the bigger ones.This made the local Indians quite wealthy and also allowed them to get really good at the art of making blades points etc.Other tribes that had to trade for their obsidian were not so lucky,and had to reuse their tools until they were pretty much useless.I have seen some mind blowing size and craftsmanship in the tools there!When the water recedes in dry years it used to be common to find cracked in half grinding bowls as Pomo tradition was to break a deceased womans bowl and toss it in the lake

Eric also if you havent studt the Bloody Island Massacre and visit it if you can...very interesting.I love that area....spend a lot of time there

I wish I had some pictures of the huge ceremonial type blades I have seen from there.Here are a couple examples from there
View attachment 763722View attachment 763724
Hi kuger!
That amber colored one is so pretty... love it.
Yea i am looking forward to some serious water hunting this summer.
I did some reading up on the island but didn't know that i could visit? on my list to do.
Thanks for posting really appreciate it.
 
That obsidian there is unique.Some where there is supposedly a gray shade.I havent seen it to compare to the gray type I get at Davis Creek.There is so much awesome Indian history there its just astounding.......those Indians were the holders of the obsidian source for every tribe within 100 miles.Not a whole lot to see at the massacre site,I just like visiting places like that....my imagination hears things....LOL!I have threatened several times to move up there....as I said I spend quite a bit of time there,just not a whole lot of work.Stay in touch!! Cody
 
That obsidian there is unique.Some where there is supposedly a gray shade.I havent seen it to compare to the gray type I get at Davis Creek.There is so much awesome Indian history there its just astounding.......those Indians were the holders of the obsidian source for every tribe within 100 miles.Not a whole lot to see at the massacre site,I just like visiting places like that....my imagination hears things....LOL!I have threatened several times to move up there....as I said I spend quite a bit of time there,just not a whole lot of work.Stay in touch!! Cody

The obsidian near me (VA.) has the grey look. It's pretty, but does not have the strong reflective property as pictured above. I'm thinking VA. And PA. Are the only east cost states with obsidian. It is far from common, even in the part of VA. That I boarder. While on the topic of nature made glass, has anyone ever seen glass made by lightning striking sand? I think I have a point made of that type of glass. It holds a way sharper edge than any quartz I have seen. That is, unless this one is actually quartz. Everyone, including myself, calls this piece quartz, but I have always held doubts about that.

image-2746841063.webp

Sorry if I strayed from topic.
 
Obsidian is very common out here(the side of Mount Konocti is 12 miles of it)There is a place just over the mountain from my place that it is 2' deep for about 20 mile radius.There were of course specific tribes that laid claim basically and were quite wealthy for it!

Could it be actual glass......its not uncommon for my local Indians to have fashioned points from black glass(which is very dark green)My grandfather used to tell the story of the old Indian They called Yellowjacket who would sit on the bench in Murphy's....he was quite a tourist attraction.He would chip arrow heads from black,and purple glass and sell em...he would give my grandad and his buds a nickle to bring em the red glass tail lights from the "city slickers",cars :laughing7: said they made beutiful points!!!!


Eric....Borax Lake is where I heard the gray comes from?
here is some interesting reading as well
http://members.peak.org/~obsidian/iaos_bulletin_11.pdf
 
Last edited:
Obsidian is very common out here(the side of Mount Konocti is 12 miles of it)There is a place just over the mountain from my place that it is 2' deep for about 20 mile radius.There were of course specific tribes that laid claim basically and were quite wealthy for it!

I honestly would say your piece is actual glass......its not uncommon for my local Indians to have fashioned points from black glass(which is very dark green)My grandfather used to tell the story of the old Indian They called Yellowjacket who would sit on the bench in Murphy's....he was quite a tourist attraction.He would chip arrow heads from black,and purple glass and sell em...he would give my grandad and his buds a nickle to bring em the red glass tail lights from the "city slickers",cars :laughing7: said they made beutiful points!!!!

Eric....Borax Lake is where I heard the gray comes from?
here is some interesting reading as well
http://members.peak.org/~obsidian/iaos_bulletin_11.pdf

Lol! I have heard of railroad glass. That's the red glass from the warning light on the roads that have rails crossing them. Never heard of tail light glass. That's funny. The piece I posted above is clear. It's so clear, one can read letters through it. My brother found it at a Christmas tree farm on a Mt. Top, here in NC. Being that it came from high ground, I'm near 100% certain it's a form of natural glass. I have gone along with quartz because I grew tired of debating what it was with local guys that stop by to look at some of my frames. If it looks tinted purple to you, that's because of my accidental trick photography. Thanks for the view. I'm glad you said glass.
 
..........I have obsidian you can read through...........:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom