Found this Black Americana! Real ? Reprint?

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida

Attachments

• 17205_lg.jpg
    17205_lg.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 207
I found the picture on-line but little other info. Thanks in advance for anything further.

Hey jnkhntr,

I'm not sure as to what you're driving at, here. Is this something you're considering buying?

Gone With the Wind premiered in Atlanta, New York & LA December 1939. The rest of the US saw it in first run stating January 17,

Good picture, Hattie McDaniel won Best Supporting Actress.

PS: Never mind, I believe I should have read the Title again, before posting. For my Grandmother, this was a 3 hankie movie. 8-)

Last edited:
If it is indeed an original, it is in excellent shape. Where did you stumble upon this unique find, if you don't mind me asking? I would love to have found that in the bottom of some ol' box!

apush

If it is indeed an original, it is in excellent shape. Where did you stumble upon this unique find, if you don't mind me asking? I would love to have found that in the bottom of some ol' box!

apush
I found this at a Central Florida Yard sale. There were many "Gone with the Wind" black and white photographs. I found this more interesting.

That would seem pretty pricey for a movie ticket in 1940, I would guess that ticket is much later.

That would seem pretty pricey for a movie ticket in 1940, I would guess that ticket is much later.
I got into the movies for 50¢ in the 1960's. But this was gone with the wind. People wanted to see it so they had to pay.

Now a days I will not pay $10 $12 to see a movie, I can wait till it comes to TV.

I don't think the price is an issue as every ticket I've seen pictured the price is consistant, like the blue ticket above. I've now found some completed listings on ebay, but none from a segregated section (colored balcony). I think this would command a premium.

I don't think the price is an issue as every ticket I've seen pictured the price is consistant, like the blue ticket above. I've now found some completed listings on ebay, but none from a segregated section (colored balcony). I think this would command a premium.
I agree, it will command a premium. I found a set of 5 tickets for the same movie and theater that sold at Cowan's Auction's but I can't get the price realized.Movie Tickets (5); Colored Balcony, Gone With the Wind, Mobile Alabama.
However, I did find a guy selling one on Craigslist and he wants $100 for his, same movie, same theater. GONE WITH THE WIND-SAENGER THEATRE-ORIGINAL "COLORED BALCONY" TICKET
Very nice piece of ephemera.:thumbsup:

Yep. It was a massive hit. According to Wikipedia, "Upon its release, Gone with the Wind broke attendance records everywhere. At the Capitol Theatre in New York alone, it was averaging eleven thousand admissions per day in late December (1939), and went on to sell an estimated sixty million tickets across the United States—sales equivalent to just under half the population at the time." MGM knew it was in a position to dictate the very high price, and an above-average cut of the box office, and the theater owners didn't really have a choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back