kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Weight? - How does it compare weight-wise with a normal jellybean-sized rock? It would be very easy to make a balance scale. If it's gold, it'll be more than enough weight differencewhen compared with rock.

Hardness? - You tried to cut one with a knife. Did you try poking the pointed tip into the mass to check hardness? ...Which leads me to the next item:

"Tried to cut one"? How many "jellybeans" ARE there??

"They all have a bronze sheen to them under the black charred spots." Did you try cleaning the black off of the 'beans'?

And lastly, Dizzy is right - throw that phone in the river and get a real camera. There are some decent (and CHEAP!) digital cameras to be had that do a fine job, so long as you don't need to zoom out into the distance. For close-up pics, there will normally be a "macro" mode that you'll have to set it to. That will allow clear pics while getting up close and personal with the target.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Although I use a Nikon D90 for anything but macro, this is the camera I use for macro pics:

Fujifilm FinePix A700 Digital Camera with 7 3 Megapixels 0074101444377 | eBay

It's a great camera for packing around prospecting, plus it's got an excellent
macro mode, so you can get a pic 10" from the object and have it come out
sharp.

p.s. No idea who the seller is..just grabbed a link off ebay.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a Canon Powershot SX510 that has macro mode, but only recently have I been starting to use that mode. Around here, almost NOTHING is close up! And I'm not exactly a "photographer", so all the little buttons and such only go to keep me in a constant state of confusion. :laughing9:

I still like my old Minolta X370 35mm camera, but didn't like the developing costs! ...But sure did get some great pics with that thing way back in another lifetime!! ....Is too bad someone hasn't come up with a way to use an older, high-quality 35mm camera and, instead of loading "film", to instead insert a recording device for the images. That would be SSSSSOOOOOOOO awesome!! I'd probably never pick up a newer camera again!

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As pointed out many times on this forum and others gold will cut with a knife. What you have doesn't look like or act like gold.

Heavy Pans

I agree. I'm just curious as to what it may be. When I pulled the burlap, I checked to make sure that no big stones were attached. I'm lost.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my professional opinion....... they are jellybean sized, black charred rocks.

Sorry.. had to.

:)

Iphone 5s and above are mostly what I use for my macro now even though I have REALLY good cameras
and many lens choices. One key is to learn that cameras don't like to focus on water, so put a finger near it.
Next hold it VERY... VERY... still. Camera shake... even a tiny bit it the #1 cause of blurry pics.

Iphone 5s pic.

1finegem.jpg

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. I'm just curious as to what it may be. When I pulled the burlap, I checked to make sure that no big stones were attached. I'm lost.
Well....... apparently there was a stone or 2 that escaped your inspection.........

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a 5S too, hold your breath, tuck your elbows into your ribs and take several shots in bright light. A dull old silver dime works even better than a finger imo.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 5S too, hold your breath, tuck your elbows into your ribs and take several shots in bright light. A dull old silver dime works even better than a finger imo.

Correct..............
Also I've learned and taught a trick about how to hold it so it rests against your second hand.
Two points of contact and yes, bright light will boost the ISO / quality so you can edit and crop

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The wife has a Samsung Galaxy 5. Any idea how well it would work for macro?

Would be nice to use the darn thing now and then. Where we live, the phone just won't get a signal, so we use it only in town...which is almost never. :tongue3:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife has a Samsung Galaxy 5. Any idea how well it would work for macro?

Would be nice to use the darn thing now and then. Where we live, the phone just won't get a signal, so we use it only in town...which is almost never. :tongue3:

Youtube is my best friend besides my dog.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another example...
When taking pics like this I never use my Nikon camera.
I use my IPHONE.

1quartz.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have read most of this Thread and will not comment on the behavior of many of the posters. I do want to discuss the subject of using Diamagnetism that reptwar1 brought up to recover Gold. Am I wrong in my thinking that Diamagnetism will not work in the water in attempting to recover fine Gold as the water would ground out the Diamagnetism??!! It would matter not whether you were creating the charge manually (i.e. rubbing a PVC pipe on wool or other material) or using an Electret as either would be grounded out once they hit the water. IMO, Diamagnetism would only work on dry material to recover Gold or Silver!

Frank

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read most of this Thread and will not comment on the behavior of many of the posters. I do want to discuss the subject of using Diamagnetism that reptwar1 brought up to recover Gold. Am I wrong in my thinking that Diamagnetism will not work in the water in attempting to recover fine Gold as the water would ground out the Diamagnetism??!! It would matter not whether you were creating the charge manually (i.e. rubbing a PVC pipe on wool or other material) or using an Electret as either would be grounded out once they hit the water. IMO, Diamagnetism would only work on dry material to recover Gold or Silver!

Frank

I agree. It wouldn't work under water. The gold dust that I found in the first part of the thread was actually on dry land, in a crack of a asphalt bike/jogging trail

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply and I hope you don't have to endure anymore skepticism!

Frank

It's not really the skepticism that bothers me. It's when they are rude about it, and imply that I think I'm going to become fabulously wealthy overnight lol. I think things have calmed down now though and I am good with that :)

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not really the skepticism that bothers me. It's when they are rude about it, and imply that I think I'm going to become fabulously wealthy overnight lol. I think things have calmed down now though and I am good with that :)

I dont think that is what people are thinking at all, more so the exact opposite. Your experience and methods are very out of the ordinary, so it shouldn't be a surprise that some here that might react particularly skeptical. Also there are other underlying factors some take into consideration and others are oblivious to.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not excuse the rudeness, though I do feel like the nature of your claims are hard to believe to be logical. That said, some may question your intentions here and that is why some have responded as so. There are others here that have the sole intention to spread miss information, so it has some on edge. If this is not your intention and hopefully so that's great and Im sorry for any ill feeling I may have caused with any of my posts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not excuse the rudeness, though I do feel like the nature of your claims are hard to believe to be logical. That said, some may question your intentions here and that is why some have responded as so. There are others here that have the sole intention to spread miss information, so it has some on edge. If this is not your intention and hopefully so that's great and Im sorry for any ill feeling I may have caused with any of my posts.

Many things I've accomplished in my life, I have done so, and excelled, in an "unconventional" manner. Not sure why a few on this site get so upset. If only geologists are allowed on this site, there should be a disclaimer. Secondly, who gives a rat's rear how I do things???!!! I'm not selling anyone anything, nor am I here to start drama as others are. I am simply here to learn. Unlike a few on here, I wasn't born with all the answers lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread