Found this in/on a 19th century wooden ship buried under sand

felixbonke

May 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey people,

Dived in the harbor yesterday, to so some research/recovery on a sunken blackbirding/cargo vessel which I discovered a while back. So far I haven't recovered many interesting artifacts, apart from bronze nails, copper sheathing, an ink bottle from that period (1890-1900), and a "Leed" lemonade can from the 70s (in some way an ancestor to Sprite).

Getting back to the recent discovery however...

The obvious answer would be a "lathe tool post" wrench. I just found out about those, and would love to know if this particular tool was indeed used in the late 19th century aboard ships, or if the tool might have been dropped into the water decades after my shipwreck sank.

Or if this isn't a wrench at all, but something else...

DCF5EDA6-086F-4420-84E7-ACA2B71C2816.jpeg

It was quite tainted and blackened when I found it, obviously under water for some time... It's made from yellow brass, and a corresponding weight.. Notice the "7" on the lower handle.

Thanks heaps, guys.

Upvote 8

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a brass hole lever spanner - maybe a machine/steam valve key.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations very nice recovery

OP
OP
F

felixbonke

May 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! You must be right. I'll keep looking for anything else. Funny thing was, it was lodged in between two layers of copper sheathing, with the wood partially rotten away. Must have been on random, by effect of time. Speaking of which, the fact that there were two parallel copper sheathing layers, merely ten centimeters apart (separated by wooden planks), seems weird. As if the inside of the hull was also covered...

This goes on for the whole length of the visible planks of the ship, around 10-15 meters. I thought of the rudder first, but that would have been one heck of a ship. Do you reckon someone on this forum would be able to identify the position the ship is lying in the sand, if I took a few photos?

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Not sure on an ID, but very cool to have the chance to dive that!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lever spanner... definitely ship related.

Valve... prolly steam pressure release valve related... or similar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread