Found this last week (Effigy?)

car209

Jul 22, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265 m-Scope/Whites coin master-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Husband and I were hunting our favorite place for Artifacts about a week ago and it was just about Dark and I found this Awesome piece... I have been speaking with someone that specializes in these Artifacts .. IMG_20140803_101428.jpg IMG_20140803_101601.jpg
found it myself so its no replica. It was found just North of a well documented Clovis Site. All opinions are welcome. Its about 3 1/2" tall.

20140804_175656.jpg 20140804_175342.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you a secret. If nobody responds to your post its cause they think different and don't want to hurt your feelings. Its a cool rock though

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion...........I find all kinds of rocks that are unique to the area when looking thru old campgrounds. They liked pretty rocks almost as much as me!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing7:

OP
OP
C

car209

Jul 22, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent it off to be Authenticated. The Bottom is flat and smooth. I found it in a old campsite,

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you waste your money to authenticate a rock? It is just a cool looking piece of Quartz. Not an artifact and definitely not an Effigy.

OP
OP
C

car209

Jul 22, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken Johnston
Aug 5 (7 days ago)

to me
I can see what you are talking about. Bull elephant in charging position with ears flared.

Maybe also another animal head facing left (horse muzzle?) and a horse facing right.

Definitely be looking for more visually unusual objects in the same area and you may be able to establish a pattern.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken Johnston
Aug 5 (7 days ago)

to me
I can see what you are talking about. Bull elephant in charging position with ears flared.

Maybe also another animal head facing left (horse muzzle?) and a horse facing right.

Definitely be looking for more visually unusual objects in the same area and you may be able to establish a pattern.

Ken Johnston, I believe he is the guy with the "Portable Rock Effigy" web page. He has been on this site before trying to convince folks that his naturally formed rocks are effigy's. If I remember correct, not one established member here agreed with his I.D. on said effigy's. I wish he would stop giving people false hope, and realize he is incorrect on most, if not all of his Identifications. I hope you have not, and do not pay him for his misinformation. The Grim Reaper has been collecting for over 50 years, I think, and actually owns real effigy's, I would trust his judgment over Ken Johnston's any day of the week. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken Johnston, I believe he is the guy with the "Portable Rock Effigy" web page. He has been on this site before trying to convince folks that his naturally formed rocks are effigy's. If I remember correct, not one established member here agreed with his I.D. on said effigy's. I wish he would stop giving people false hope, and realize he is incorrect on most, if not all of his Identifications. I hope you have not, and do not pay him for his misinformation. The Grim Reaper has been collecting for over 50 years, I think, and actually owns real effigy's, I would trust his judgment over Ken Johnston's any day of the week. Good luck, and happy hunting.
I forgot his username here but he was here.......

I would suggest you have a reputable authenticator look at ones you have certificates on. No need to say how much but hope he isn't charging you for certificates.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he was banned Treasure Hunter for promoting his site and rocks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he was banned Treasure Hunter for promoting his site and rocks.
I do remember him and there was a problem with him attacking members who disagreed with his rocks he posted as artifacts.

Mother nature forms billions of rocks that man's sees shapes in, in the end they are still just rocks our minds twists into shapes in our minds.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I do remember him and there was a problem with him attacking members who disagreed with his rocks he posted as artifacts.

Mother nature forms billions of rocks that man's sees shapes in, in the end they are still just rocks our minds twists into shapes in our minds.

Thats what I recall, him being very disrespectful to others. I think that speaks volumes about his character.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was he the same guy that was telling everyone that we would have to eat our words once the archeologist came buy an authenticated everything...then we never heard from him again??

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was real pain for us over at Arrowheadology too. We eventually gave him a timeout where whatever he posted was only seen by him and the Mods and Admins so he would get no replies and I think he just gave up and left. We may have actually banned him as well.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a dude in the woods one time that was telling me about all the "artifacts" he had found....He pulled a few out, and they were nothing but rocks from the, now removed, railroad bed....just granite chunks...but he was pointing out a "gorilla women holding a baby", and such....nice guy, but he smelled like marijuana...even more so when he popped back out of the woods! So I think the more weed he smoked...the more "artifacts" he found!!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He was real pain for us over at Arrowheadology too. We eventually gave him a timeout where whatever he posted was only seen by him and the Mods and Admins so he would get no replies and I think he just gave up and left. We may have actually banned him as well.
If I understand correctly that is genius! He would post and likely wonder why no one would reply, never knowing nobody else could see his posts! I love it!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
true effigy pieces are never in doubt, they are obvious. Native peoples of thousands of years ago on any continent were skilled artisans and not ape-like creatures incapable of lithic mastery. Just look at an clovis point...10,000 years plus and the skill and lithic choices unmatched.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lol! That's funny as crap! You guys had him talking to himself. My dad and I were hunting artifacts long before the internet came along. When the net made it's way into homes, websites similar to that dudes got my attention. I got pulled into that garbage for a short stint. My dad stopped hunting with me for awhile. We all want to find that majestic piece so bad. When those "effigy finds" start outnumbering your arrowheads, that's when the let down comes along. Lol!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funniest one I ever saw was a guy that was actually on here a long time ago that posted what he called The Madonna. It was a rock that did look like the Virgin Mary, there was no doubt it did. But, he claimed it came from a 20,000 year old site which would make it quite a few thousands of year before she was even born. So not only were they great artists, they could see into the future for their subjects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread