What's new

Found this on a walk in the forest...

curious kat

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2013
Messages
2,302
Reaction score
2,824
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I'm thinking it's Bison? Didn't know if I should post it here, but if Buffalo...might be OK. lol It was on a hill side, half covered in the ground. Don't know how long ago there where Buffalo here in NM? RSCN3821.webpRSCN3822.webp
 
Upvote 0
Is it hollow? I've never seen a horn come un-glued like that one has., but I don't see a lot of horn.
 
i picked up a horn one time,guy told me it was a goat horn.i do not know but it is outside and will show you if you do not mind kat.
 
...yes quito, it's hollow and I forgot to say it's "flat" not a rounded horn. And Jamey...please do post your pic here, anyone's welcome to post theirs...would be nice to see them :hello2:...thanks guys!
 
Some ram horns are kind of flat, I'm like quito I have never seen a horn come apart like that ,but I am not use to things like that from your area. It's possible that it was compressed by soil to make it look flat.:icon_scratch:
 
Kat most horns except deer are made of keratin. It would not be unusual for them to degrade like that.
 
looks very old to me
 
photo.webp

Here is one out of a creek bank in Tn. Notice the delamination at the base. Maybe Larson will know as he finds many horns inn his area.
 
will do when they allow me to post a picture again
 
I know that buffalo/bison horns do weather like that, but to me it looks like Kat's has a bit too much of a curve to it to be bison/buffalo.
And it shouldn't be flat on one side either.
I love looking at your finds Kat.
 
...oh boy, learning a lot here....looking at the pic you posted Tn, if that's Bison...mine isn't, it's not so wide as yours. What do you guys think about either Big Horn sheep (like monsterrack said) or Oxen? There are BH sheep around but not to near, maybe awhile back? And maybe settlers or Spanish or who knows, with ox at one time? When I said it was "flat", it's like that in a uniform way, not oddly. Big thanks to everyone :) and have a nice New Year!
 
Cool Find! :icon_thumleft:
I believe what you found is the weathered tip to a big horn sheep horn. It is too wide at the point/end to be a bison horn. I even have some old buffalo horn that looks very similar with the same type of weathering, and the one that I found has to be more than 150+ years old because there were not any buffalo in the area since the white man entered the area and killed the buffalo off. If it is somewhat dry and arid in your area it very possible for horn material to last this long.
 
IMG_6313[1].webp5297A34C-CB69-4884-BB76AE283E6ABB49[1].webprandyseals91009-3[1].webpram-portrait-8661574[1].webpI thought maybe a ram too miss kat or maybe a ewe. desert type cattle have weird shapes to their horns.
 
Yes old digger...very "mummy" dry here! lol So...probably a Big Horn sheep, would make sense since there are BHS to the south & north of us. You guys think it's curved enough for BHS? Your probably right outlaw, as usual, probably a weird sheep horn...like you...joking..lol Thanks again everyone :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom