Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I can't really see his face clear enough but the pattern in the front tells me he is a copperhead. What has me doubting my opinion is the long slender tail is like a banded water snake. They look very similiar to a copper head in pattern and will flare their heads out like a viper when being defensive. A copper head has the typical pits like the timber rattler and the very distinct diamond shaped head. Depending upon the age and location the patterns can vary big time in the copperhead species. Eliptical eyes are a give away as well.
Here is a picture of some copperheads I saw that were mateing a female. Several males were in the rocks. You can see the blunt tails and diffrent patterns in these vipers.
Worst bite out there is the copperhead but the banded water snake is 10x more aggresive.
Now we are all confused :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• DCP_1139.JPG
    DCP_1139.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 380

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
I usually ID from the HEAD down. Anything looking "Pity" gets left alone unless I have the stick with me.
Newt

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly has a great thread going on here about snakes. Its been running forever. I suggest posting your picture there and lets see what they say. I am betting banded water snake not seeing the heavy head of a viper. You are in copperhead and timber rattler country though. Here is her post

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,228728.0.html

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
TnMountains said:
Hey I can't really see his face clear enough but the pattern in the front tells me he is a copperhead. What has me doubting my opinion is the long slender tail is like a banded water snake. They look very similiar to a copper head in pattern and will flare their heads out like a viper when being defensive. A copper head has the typical pits like the timber rattler and the very distinct diamond shaped head. Depending upon the age and location the patterns can vary big time in the copperhead species. Eliptical eyes are a give away as well.
Here is a picture of some copperheads I saw that were mateing a female. Several males were in the rocks. You can see the blunt tails and diffrent patterns in these vipers.
Worst bite out there is the copperhead but the banded water snake is 10x more aggresive.
Now we are all confused :icon_scratch:
I was thinking a water snake also ..

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
TnMountains said:
Molly has a great thread going on here about snakes. Its been running forever. I suggest posting your picture there and lets see what they say. I am betting banded water snake not seeing the heavy head of a viper. You are in copperhead and timber rattler country though. Here is her post

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,228728.0.html
Just posted there ...Thanks~!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread