Found today in the middle of no where!!!!!

koho99

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Platinum
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these buttons/fasteners today out in the middle of the woods where I deer hunt. I thought the site might be a possible civil war camp due to the unexplained number of dug out areas in pairs scattered around a hill side but now im starting to think its an old prohibition era still site or possibly bootlegger site. Im finding alot of what appears to be metal keg straps like the old wooden whiskey kegs would have and lots of old iron square nails. This site is probably a half mile of the road out in the middle of the woods but there is seriously metal all over the place. Im not sure what the area is yet but you cant take a single step without hearing a tone. Most readings are high teens low 20s. I found these three AJ Towers Co buttons within 12 to 24 inches of each other so most likely off the same slicker. All three still have the wire fastener and backer on them. I am new to metal detecting but from the research I have done today on these buttons I think its a pretty good find. I found some brass rivets on this site as well. If anyone has any additional detailed info on these buttons/fasteners that would be great.

buttons1.JPG

buttons2.JPG

Upvote 0
:occasion14: them moonshiners often hid money around their sites.......keep diggin

Okay cool, so according to the book on the Battles of the Red River, these buttons could be Civil War relics, awesome. My buttons dont say AJ Towers Co. mine say Towers Wire Fastened. I know theyre made by the same company but do you by chance know if one maybe pre-dates the other?

I always find barrel hoops in old dumps...might be some bottles around......

Okay cool, so according to the book on the Battles of the Red River, these buttons could be Civil War relics, awesome. My buttons dont say AJ Towers Co. mine say Towers Wire Fastened. I know theyre made by the same company but do you by chance know if one maybe pre-dates the other?

The Red River War was a Military Campaign against the Indians in the Southern Plains, a decade or so after the end of the American Civil War. As near as I can recollect from research, all the TOWER marked white metal "buttons" are entirely post-American Civil War. Not sure which of the two commonly encountered varieties of these company marked fasteners came out first (A.J. TOWER CO. BOSTON vs. TOWERS WIRE FASTENED).

CC Hunter

Last edited:
CC Hunter, thanks again for the info even if theyre not from the war still pretty old and in good shape for the age and location found, theyll display nicely.

Pete, Im not thinking this a dump site, Ive been to a few of those and the typical pots, pans, cans and things arent showing up not to mention not a single piece of glass yet. Im finding alot of very thick, very old forged angle iron pieces, barrel loops, and square nails, lots and lots of square nails. Maybe an old home site but its in a bottom and would be a terrible place to build a house. Im just not sure what it is, yet!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back