Found today - Meteorite???

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out for a walk earlier and cut through my neighbour's driveway and yard - saves me almost 3/4 of a mile. I found this "rock" in their chat driveway (blueish grey gravel for those who do not know) as I was crossing it. It stood out like a sore thumb (what ever that looks like) and when I picked it up I definitely has some weight to it. It weighs 18.95 grams and is almost 1 inch long.

Meteorite_001.JPG Meteorite_002.JPG
Meteorite_003.JPG Meteorite_004.JPG

Open to opinions as to what it could be.
DH

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your metal detector hit on it? If so what range on the detector and brand?

Tested on three detectors:

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV; Iron tone - doesn't have TID

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro: Iron tone - 25 - 28

Dr. OTEK MT-XR: Iron tone - 31
-DH-

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no logic in the assumption that an odd-looking 'rock' which is heavy, iron-rich and doesn't look like other rocks in the vicinity is probably a meteorite. Especially not when found in a context where it might be from imported hardcore used for driveways, paths, foundations etc. There's no telling from where it may have originally come, or whether the hardcore includes industrial waste.

What we look for are specific features which are consistent with meteorites (it doesn't really have any of those), and also features which are not consistent. Meteorites do not have rough surface appearances as shown in your pictures. It's much more likely to be a broken piece of an igneous terrestrial rock or a stray piece of slag.

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/slag/

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no logic in the assumption that an odd-looking 'rock' which is heavy, iron-rich and doesn't look like other rocks in the vicinity is probably a meteorite. Especially not when found in a context where it might be from imported hardcore used for driveways, paths, foundations etc. There's no telling from where it may have originally come, or whether the hardcore includes industrial waste.

What we look for are specific features which are consistent with meteorites (it doesn't really have any of those), and also features which are not consistent. Meteorites do not have rough surface appearances as shown in your pictures. It's much more likely to be a broken piece of an igneous terrestrial rock or a stray piece of slag.

https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/slag/

I wasn't assuming that it was a meteorite, hence the question marks, I was simply asking if it could be due to it's weight. However, I do thank you for the information as I have no idea what it is. Maybe meteorite is ruled out though. :)

Thanks again!
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more pic.

Notice the sparkles when zoomed in?
WhatAmI.JPG

Whatever it is, it was hot when it landed where I found it. Also, it is not smooth and appears to be made up of smaller rocks and quartz chunks - used a 21x magnifier to see this.
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon further research, thanks RTR, this looks like a piece of Ureilite

Upon further research, thanks RTR, this looks like a piece of Ureilite according to a LOT of pictures I have looked at.

Since I haven't a clue to what it is, I'm going to send it in for analysis and let an EXPERT tell me what it is.

Thanks to all for the comments.
-DH-

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No fusion crust, and a composition like this would not survive reentry, conclusion....it is not a meteorite.
but keep looking, they are out there

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice the sparkles when zoomed in?
View attachment 1796751

Whatever it is, it was hot when it landed where I found it. Also, it is not smooth and appears to be made up of smaller rocks and quartz chunks - used a 21x magnifier to see this.
-DH-

I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion "it was hot when it landed where I found it"? Do you mean it was hot when you actually picked it up? Also, visible quartz crystals have never been found in meteorites... only very rarely in minor amounts and at microscopic size that required complex analysis to identify them. It's not a meteorite and certainly not a ureilite. If you can get it looked at for free then why not if it makes you happier, but I wouldn't waste money on testing. (I have collected and studied meteorites for almost 40 years, so I'm not being dismissive just for the sake of it).

Last edited:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money. If it doesn't stick to a magnet its simply not a meteorite.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money. If it doesn't stick to a magnet its simply not a meteorite.

It isn't a meteorite, but a magnet is not a reliable way to tell. Roughly 1 in 20 meteorite falls are of classes with a composition that may not have nickel-iron in quantities sufficient to be magnetic. Ureilites may or may not be magnetic... but it's not a ureilite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't a meteorite, but a magnet is not a reliable way to tell. Roughly 1 in 20 meteorite falls are of classes with a composition that may not have nickel-iron in quantities sufficient to be magnetic. Ureilites may or may not be magnetic... but it's not a ureilite.

Thanks for the info but, I can get it done for free from a friend of mine. Seriously, I haven't a clue what it is or even could be. I just know that it was hot (to answer your previous question) when it landed (e.g. dropped from the sky, fell off a turnip truck, drippings falling from a piece of metal, et cetera) because it looks to have small particles attached to it.

I don't care if it a meteorite or not. I was just trying to get input of what it could be not just "It isn't a meteorite".

Thanks again.
-DH-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread