annak

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2011
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 505, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still learning my Minelab 505 detector, but slowly my finds are increasing. Today I found a U.M.C. Trap shotgun shell and some clad coins. This park was created in 1911, although have not found any coins older than a 1953 silver dime. Most of the pennies I have found are in the 1970s to 2006 date range.
When searching the park how come I am not finding older coins? I am searching in the all metal mode, and so far using the numbers as my guide to decide if I want to dig. How deep will old coins be? I am not sure if the Minelab is going deep enough to find the older coins. Even if I don't find old coins I love being outside, it is so peaceful detecting the only thing you hear are the birds and the beeping of my detector!

Upvote 0

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are off to a good start with a silver dime. :thumbsup: Learn your machine well and the finds will come. I am sure your Minelab can reach the older coins. Your park has most likely been hunted before so you have to think outside the box when hunting. Or get permission for an old yard that is less likely to have been hunted. Good luck!

HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be hunted out. Try to think where the most activity was and the over grown areas. Your machine will find it if you found that shell. Look forward to Pictures. Good luck and welcome to a fun hobby

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby and the forum. If there is a woods next to the park or a stream or even trying the outside perimeter of the park may be a fresh idea. Goodluck

Coinhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread