found wells and homes!!

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
i decided to try out my area being ive been fermiliarizing myself with my back country area , and found 2 home site that would have been built before the 1900's they both have wells, one on higher ground and the water is at the top, but if my memory serves me correct isnt water suppose to flow donw hill? wel one of the 2 that is on the lower part is empty dry and about 65 ft deep, there is a tree right ontop of it, as the same with the one up hig, but im not only curious as to why the well thats lower would be empty when the higher one is to the top.. but when i go donw the well how much of the dirt should i pull out? as far as looking, i mean is there a point of depth i shouldnt thinkof looking? or should i just shoot for like the first ft or 2, the well is very large, very open, and thats the funny thing about it, most people would think in a wooded area if theres "lots" of black berrie bushes to stay close to the trees , but in this case it would end you up in the wrong place.. ive ogt ropes, and chains, and have seen it to be a well built well. also when they made brick homes in the past is there a way that you can tell the dates ? i mean ive heard that they use to put their initals, or dates on them, but these look to be fired as if they were made right on sight.. any other clues? ive got the outlines of the homes, and know where the sisterns and wells are, i know i only wish i had, or knew someone i could rely on "trust" and would really know their Azz from a well in the ground when it comes to this stuff.. but alas i dont, ive searched for help, and have found no one in my area, or atleast anyone i would share my info with, basically not going to a shop and saying ive got this, what do you think..maybe someone could either piont me in the right direction or give me an idea as to were i should look for assistance.. ive had lots of bottle luck and know what to look for, just always had people look at me strainge when i mention treasure hunting .. i guess most of its cause theyre only in it for the money and not the story or adventure,or even history for that matter..i recently found out by mistake my paper lady hunts, but havent gone into any detail, or even led on that something like that is only within a block from my house. i live in the Black hole of suburbia, a place thats still country, and quiet, most people say where when i say i live in this city and go thats a city thees no place like that out there.. but then again they just never look... even the cable guy took 2 hrs to find my house. that should give you an idea.. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanx... yeah, i know one of these days ill get a detector, but till then i guess ill get the dirt out and screen it... other then that ill dig and get bottles...or search rolls, or find it in abandoned homes that im remodeling...

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
maybe that other well is fed by a spring or something. be carefull going down into the one well. other that the obvious hazards, gasses can collect in deep holes like that and you wouldnt know it until you were choking on them.

S

southbound

I would take a buddie with me just in case. Also be carefull with cave ins. Good luck with the search. P.S. Is there a trash dump close by?
Vern

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
STRYKER, Best Of Luck, Don't Try It Alone. No Telling What You May Find. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 081.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 081.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 198
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 081.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 081.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
S

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
Wouldnt plan on going alone, but what im still wondering is how much dirt should i pull from it to check, being no detector, ill be pulling it out in 5 gallon buckets and screening it.. is there a mark i should think of not passing, exept for the obvious"hitting water"? i mean after all how far down would something be in a well from the dirt floor? been down once just to try it out, no gases, but yes there was a dump near, and also a milk company that has been gone for a while..so lots of places round here, just no hunting buddies.. maybe ill get lucky and find one one of these days, more then likely after i find big money...lol.. thanx for the posts and keep the info commin..

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
S,

you take care. Make sure and check everything
twice.

Sounds like an interesting hunt. Best.

have a good un...............

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Please be careful buddy up with someone, I would try a grapling hook. You could also try a 100 lb magnet. Might give some good clues. HH Art...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread