What's new

Four hour mini road-trip yields $600 in halves

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Had to waste a nice chunk of gas and spend over $600 in cash to get myself 9 - 40% in silver halves.

I can't complain though... silver is silver and considering my last 6 boxes yielded a total of 2 - 40%, it sure as heck ain't too bad.

Was weird too... one of the banks had my usual yellow CWI string and son wrapped halves in their vault... like $100-120 worth. Yeilded 2 - 40% halves out of it. Only other time I have gotten sealed box rolls was when I bought 2 boxes of Brinks rolls, where each box was like 5 rolls short. NO silver from them... they were obviously scanned over with a metal detector and the 5 good rolls taken out.

Oh, and it turns out the 6 box order that didn't come in last week (while the other two did) was not ordered because I was told it won't be in till NEXT thurs now. Crazy forgetful tellers... it was the last order I'll be making this summer too and now I have to wait two extra weeks to pick it up after I planned on being done with this stuff. Might have to stick them with the boxes and tell them I can't pick them up. =) It's what they get for ordering a week late. Muhaha

~Dave
~
 
Upvote 0
BBcardsRI said:
they were obviously scanned over with a metal detector and the 5 good rolls taken out.

Might have to stick them with the boxes and tell them I can't pick them up. =) It's what they get for ordering a week late. Muhaha

~Dave

It has been asked buy me, and the overall consencess is that it would be impossible to scan the rolls with a metal detector?....... Unless you know something different..... Do tell

On the unwanted boxes ...I'll grab em if you don't. LOL

Mojo
 
BBcardsRI said:
they were obviously scanned over with a metal detector and the 5 good rolls taken out.
So... how does that work?
 
capy325 said:
BBcardsRI said:
they were obviously scanned over with a metal detector and the 5 good rolls taken out.
So... how does that work?

Easy, same way a gold tester can electronically test for 10k gold to 14k gold etc.
If you run a current though an unopened fed roll the difference in conductivity is noticeable if there is one or more silver coins in there, since The coins are packed tight they all touch, the silver is more conductive than the copper and nickel.
the ones that are different than all the others have silver or something weird like a non US coin in them.
So open those, The rest are just clad. so they can be sent back to the bank. And ultimately sent back to the Fed and packed up and boxed again.

A nasty little trick I like to do to lay sunk traps around town for. LOL
 
It's been a while since I went on a road trip. One of the banks (60+ miles round trip) I use to get halves from always got them on Thursdays. Maybe I'll go and try to snag me some tomorrow.
 
For the less tech savvy you can rip the rolls open and search the rims real quickly. If you have been doing this a while the silvers stick out easily; even 40s that are discolored. I can go through a box of 500 in about 20 minutes if I am in a hurry and not miss a beat.

Jim
 
20 minutes might be pushing it for me but I can get somewhat close to that with my boxes if I really try.

Metal detector or electricity or what have you... those rolls were DEF. looked through without being opened. =)

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom