Frank Fehr Beer Bottle

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
I found a Frank Fehr Brewing Co. bottle (Louisville, KY) today while I was metal detecting a lake.
It's in wonderful shape - but I don't know a darned thing about collectible bottles!
I believe it used to hold beer... and the I know now that the co. went out of business in 1964.
Tips on how to go about learning more would be most appreciated! I'm attaching 2 pics here.
Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• Frank Fehr bottle front.jpg
    Frank Fehr bottle front.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 568
  • Frank Fehr bottle bottom.jpg
    Frank Fehr bottle bottom.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 505

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Your bottle was manufactured by Streator Bottle & Glass Company.

They were in business from 1881 to 1905 which provides a nice date range for your bottle. If you know when Frank Fehr's company started it's business you could perhaps narrow the date range further.

For classification purposes, a bottle collector would describe your bottle as a crown top beer with a post mold base and a tooled top. This means that it was blown in a post mold and the crown top was formed by a tool using the original glass from the neck of the bottle rather than glass added later (this would be called an applied top).

You can learn all about this and much much more on this wonderful website: Historic Bottle Website - Homepage

OP
OP
SaintSea

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Wow! That was amazingly helpful, Sodetraveler! Really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I have zip knowledge about bottles and was very surprised to find one in such beautiful shape while I was just digging in the sand looking for metal! I'll definitely spend some time learning more from the web site you provided. So, my bottle is at least 107 years old! I did research the Frank Fehr company and this date line fits. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions