Free Canadian silver!!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
woo-hoo!!

I was scooping out our coinstar, tuning my ears to the music of silver but people were just too gaurded tonight. But between customers I saw someone had left some canadian coinage behind on that ledge in front. Another customer was getting ready to use it so I snuck the quarter out and checked the date. It was a 1955 and worn. I remember the stats some sweet CRHr left me and doublechecked them when i got home. It was 80% silver. According to Coinflation, that is $4.89 that I had just made. I didn't even have to swap out coins. Yes! I definitely will be keeping a sharper eye out for canadian money. it all adds up, bit by bit. Not to mention most people just want to get rid of their canadian money around here. as long as its a quarter or lower denom.,cashiers will take it for cash.

I am so ectastic right now.

Hugs, smiles and a round of drinks (and soda for the under 21 bracket) for everyone,

GarouLady

Upvote 0

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I'm still looking for my first Canadian silver and my first coinstar find, and you got both in one! I'm jealous, but I know that it found a good home with you so it's ok.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad you are having a silver streak! You are so determined! I really hope you make the find of a lifetime. If anybody here deserves it, it is you! Best of luck and happy hunting Garou!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find GarouLady. One cool thing about Canadian silver is if you see the young queen (as opposed to the design they started using in 1965), then you know it's silver even before checking the date. Same thing for earlier king George coins. I've got lots of dimes but still hunting for my first Canadian quarter. HH

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya, progress report....

I went to five different inner city banks asking for canadian money. i thought that most banks would throw it aside, replacing it with american money. Boy was I wrong on that. I also asked these banks to sell me a box of dimes. No quarters or halves, just a box of dimes. the same lame duck excuse I got was "sorry but we can't sell you a box without an account." I even counted my money in front of one lady and after talking to her for 5 minutes she finally gave me that same excuse. I told her that that was ok because there were other banks I could go to and have a nice day. Then I walked out. I finally went to a branch of my checking account and got a box of dimes. I was hopeing for anything, whether it was canadian or silver. Nothing.. I got skunked. Bummer. But at least dimes will be easier to return then the halves I had.

So I went to my LCS and asked about ASE and was told they were selling for 37 dollars. I told him silver was at 32 and if he would take 35 for one. he said no because he buys them at 35 and adds on 2 additional dollars. 2012 ASE he told me were 37.50. Eeehh, after what I was told by everyone else, I forgot about those and just bought some buillion. I got one ounce, a US quarter, a quarter tube and a dime tube for 42 dollars. Unfortunately they are the only coin shop that I know of unless I want to go check out a pawn shop or three in town, about 20 miles away. Maybe I will take a weekend off and ask my brother to go pawn shop hopping with me.

anyways, Check ya later Luvs.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job not caving in for the ASE, Premiums? No thanks! Canadian silver is cheaper or equal to spot all the time, check out the early sterlings, 100 years old and less than spot! =)
Wicka

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I still plan on checking around for canadian coins. i am thinking about checking out all the gas stations around us. we get a lot of truck drivers only a few yards away from us.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy at lcs is full of sh*#! There's no way in hell that he's paying 35 for silver eagles, his doors would have been closed years ago. I bet he pays people between 12-25$ per eagle. And a small premium over if he buys new ones from the mint.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wickaboag said:
Good job not caving in for the ASE, Premiums? No thanks! Canadian silver is cheaper or equal to spot all the time, check out the early sterlings, 100 years old and less than spot! =)
Wicka

I really want to get some sterling Canadian but they are tough to find roll hunting.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wickaboag said:
Wicka

Love to get a sterling Canadian coin but they are tough to find roll hunting.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I was talking to him about buying ASE and he said that only 6 people in the world can order ASE straight from the mint and everyone else buys from those 6 guys. That sounds like a pile of horse poo to me. I think I am going to do some phone calls to some area pawn shops and ask if and how much their ASEs are. I might get lucky and find a deal.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was talking to him about buying ASE and he said that only 6 people in the world can order ASE straight from the mint and everyone else buys from those 6 guys. That sounds like a pile of horse poo to me. I think I am going to do some phone calls to some area pawn shops and ask if and how much their ASEs are. I might get lucky and find a deal.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

He might have been talking about in the state of Michigan and not been clear. There are actually 7 authorized mint dealers for ASEs in Michigan, but the seventh may have just been added. Here is a link to the mint page that tell who the direct dealers are. They will probably give you the best prices.

The United States Mint · About The Mint

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy at lcs is full of sh*#! There's no way in hell that he's paying 35 for silver eagles, his doors would have been closed years ago. I bet he pays people between 12-25$ per eagle. And a small premium over if he buys new ones from the mint.
Coin shops almost always pay spot + a buck or two for ASE's.
Never seen one pay less than spot for an ASE.
Junk silver sure.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady,

If you don't have an account ask for $50 or $100 in dimes. If these are nationwide banks, $100 will be easy for them to pull. If it is a small bank try $50, if the teller says all I have is $15 or $20, just take it and move on. Works for me almost every time. Asking for boxes causes them to think about the cost, asking for dollar amounts works better in my experience.

HH

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dark said:
Coin shops almost always pay spot + a buck or two for ASE's.
Never seen one pay less than spot for an ASE.
Junk silver sure.

If they buy new uncirculated ones yeah, but you would be surprised how many kids, junkies, old people etc. go in there and get ripped off. A few times just out of boredom I went into 3 different shops with some unc. Morgans and ase's playing dumb. One yahoo offered 10$ a Morgan and 15 for eagle, another 12 per morgan 18 per eagle, last guy was at 20 per Morgan and 28 per eagle.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I will try the 50 and 100 amounts for dimes. I did find out something nice. Another of our LCS moved closer to me and I just found out. Now its only 10 miles away instead of 15 miles, but even cooler they have ASE for about 35 bucks. They said they had some 2012 and I told the young lady that I didn't care what year they were that I was looking for silver content. So my mom wants to go to town on wednesday, so I might slip on by and check out their stock.

Wish me Luck.
Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Candycorn

Oct 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I find values and the years to look for in the Canadian coins? Is it 1964 like here is US? My hb is in Canada, what coin roll would you bring back if you were there? I wouldnt give up any of the Canadian dimes I have but I let him take the coins that have the brass looking, loonies toonies......whatever lol I thought those dimes and quarters were pretty shiny :) Any help would be appreciated.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I find values and the years to look for in the Canadian coins? Is it 1964 like here is US? My hb is in Canada, what coin roll would you bring back if you were there? I wouldnt give up any of the Canadian dimes I have but I let him take the coins that have the brass looking, loonies toonies......whatever lol I thought those dimes and quarters were pretty shiny :) Any help would be appreciated.

I would recommend reading the beginners guide stickied at the top of the page.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions