Free pinpointer that comes with Delta 4000

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I forget the brand name of the pinpointer but has anyone had any luck with the pinpointer that comes free with the Delta 4000? I just got mine yesterday and it doesn't seem to be working the best. From my understanding, you turn the nob and it will automatically start vibrating, you continue to turn it until it stops and that is the point of highest sensitivity. I found several pennies, nickels and dimes last night in my yard by sorting through the dirt, I could not get the pinpointer to help me out!

Am I doing something wrong or was this item free for a reason?

Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably free for a reason. I bought 3 cheaper models when I first started then finally purchased the ProPointer. It seems expensive but it's well worth it. The best of the cheaper models still needs to be touching the coin before it beeps. Others go off whenever you touch the ground even if there's no metal. My gf went out with me for the first time last weekend and I felt bad that she had to use the cheapie so I swapped with her :). She started finding coins after that..

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
I am not familiar with the ppinpointer that comes with that particular model, but what I can say is that the free pinpointer that came with my Garrett GTI 1500 from Kellyco (Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer) is absolute garbage. They say its retail value is $140. Thats funny, if I saw that pinpointer in a store and it was only $10 It would still be a waste of money. Theres a reason its "free". Hope you have better luck. HH. Bryan H.

Suwanee

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
I got the same "pinpointer" from kellyco with the exact same metal detector (delta 4000).

I used it for the first time last night. Two things I noticed. the pinpointer built into the delta 4000 is way more accurate with variable sound as you hover over the object. and the other is that the handheld "pinpointer" that came with the order seems very flimsy and easily breakable.

But obviously, you are using the "pinpointer" because you are on your knees digging up the object and do not want to stand up to hover over your dirt piles again to detect. But the problem I had with the "pinpointer" is that i would use the metal detector to pinpoint something 2 inches below the ground. Then I would wave the "pinpointer" over the exact same spot, and no tone. I would then dig out a clump of dirt with the spade (which is good quality from kellyco) and use the "pinpointer again". No sound. ok, I think I missed the dig spot with the pinpointer on the delta 4000. Ok, stand up, and wave the pinpointer on the delta 4000 over the hole I dug, no sound... now wave it over the clump of dirt, bing bing bing. Ok, back on hands and knees. wave the handheld "pinpointer" and no sound. ok, I break the clump of dirt into smaller pieces. Finally it picks up in one of the dirt clumps. But alas, I can actually visually see the penny now sticking out of one edge.

Ok, handheld "pinpointer" tells me that a visible coin is in the dirt clod I am holding in my hand. Not really helpful. Yeah, I guess I am with you... will need to find a new pinpointer that detects through more than .01 mm of dirt :)

OP
OP
brucebob

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Suwanee said:
I got the same "pinpointer" from kellyco with the exact same metal detector (delta 4000).

I used it for the first time last night. Two things I noticed. the pinpointer built into the delta 4000 is way more accurate with variable sound as you hover over the object. and the other is that the handheld "pinpointer" that came with the order seems very flimsy and easily breakable.

But obviously, you are using the "pinpointer" because you are on your knees digging up the object and do not want to stand up to hover over your dirt piles again to detect. But the problem I had with the "pinpointer" is that i would use the metal detector to pinpoint something 2 inches below the ground. Then I would wave the "pinpointer" over the exact same spot, and no tone. I would then dig out a clump of dirt with the spade (which is good quality from kellyco) and use the "pinpointer again". No sound. ok, I think I missed the dig spot with the pinpointer on the delta 4000. Ok, stand up, and wave the pinpointer on the delta 4000 over the hole I dug, no sound... now wave it over the clump of dirt, bing bing bing. Ok, back on hands and knees. wave the handheld "pinpointer" and no sound. ok, I break the clump of dirt into smaller pieces. Finally it picks up in one of the dirt clumps. But alas, I can actually visually see the penny now sticking out of one edge.

Ok, handheld "pinpointer" tells me that a visible coin is in the dirt clod I am holding in my hand. Not really helpful. Yeah, I guess I am with you... will need to find a new pinpointer that detects through more than .01 mm of dirt :)

Haha :) You pretty much just described what I was doing last night. I agree that the built-in pinpointer on the Delta 4000 is 100x better than the stupid handheld one, but it was free so I can't complain too much :)

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suwanee said:

Why You dont grab a handful of dirt and move the hand over the coil? Way better than moving up and down. Next, buy Yourself a Garrett Pro Pointer! :wink:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
brucebob said:
Haha :) You pretty much just described what I was doing last night. I agree that the built-in pinpointer on the Delta 4000 is 100x better than the stupid handheld one, but it was free so I can't complain too much :)

Me too.

I have this pointer as well. Like another poster stated, this thing is probably free for a reason. I watched a relic hunt vid on youtube and these guys were using the Garrett model and all they did was wave it over the pile and it would pick up the object. You actually have to touch the object (and "object" in my case has been mostly pieces of tin, aluminum cans, and pull tabs) with this thing before it sounds off.

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
brucebob said:

Me too.

I have this pointer as well. Like another poster stated, this thing is probably free for a reason. I watched a relic hunt vid on youtube and these guys were using the Garrett model and all they did was wave it over the pile and it would pick up the object. You actually have to touch the object (and "object" in my case has been mostly pieces of tin, aluminum cans, and pull tabs) with this thing before it sounds off.

... and sign me up as another one who has this magic machine. ::) I was a bit less fortunate though. Mine was only an additional $40 with the purchase of my detector. :angry4: :angry4: It didn't take me very long to figure out that although it is a little bit helpful..... it's a PIECE OF CRAP!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
brucebob said:
I forget the brand name of the pinpointer but has anyone had any luck with the pinpointer that comes free with the Delta 4000? I just got mine yesterday and it doesn't seem to be working the best. From my understanding, you turn the nob and it will automatically start vibrating, you continue to turn it until it stops and that is the point of highest sensitivity. I found several pennies, nickels and dimes last night in my yard by sorting through the dirt, I could not get the pinpointer to help me out!

Am I doing something wrong or was this item free for a reason?
Um, probably free for a reason I'm afraid. Take a picture of it and post it, and I can tell you how to operate it

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless I'm mistaken, this be the one.

Easy enough to use..... Just a P.O.S.

imagephpmodel64-5010manufacturerkellycofile64-5010_1f.jpg
:angry7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think we have a little misconception here. Lets get the terminology straight. A metal detector is the instrument that tells you there is something in the ground that is metallic. Some metal detectors have built in "pinpointing capability" but this is only to show you the point on the surface where the object lies below. Now the small pinpointer is for use AFTER you dig out the plug. It is made with a limited range for a purpose. If you stick it in the hole you can move it around until you get a signal. That way you can determine if the object is in the bottom of the hole or on which side of the hole it is on. If it was more powerful it would go off as soon as you put it in the hole and thus tell you nothing about the location of the target. A good pinpointer will pick up a dime at 1". In actual tests, the Harbor freight $16 pinpointer picked up the dime at 1" the same as the $160 Garrett propointer. I have been using the Harbor Freight pinpointer for over a year with no problems. It is easy to modify. I have added a bright blue LED that lights when it pickes up a target. Just because you paid a lot for it doesn't make it better ! Frank

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As stated above, this little gem that I got with the purchase of a metal detector for only an additional $40, will tell you when the tip of it is touching a coin!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn said:
I think we have a little misconception here. Lets get the terminology straight. A metal detector is the instrument that tells you there is something in the ground that is metallic. Some metal detectors have built in "pinpointing capability" but this is only to show you the point on the surface where the object lies below. Now the small pinpointer is for use AFTER you dig out the plug. It is made with a limited range for a purpose. If you stick it in the hole you can move it around until you get a signal. That way you can determine if the object is in the bottom of the hole or on which side of the hole it is on. If it was more powerful it would go off as soon as you put it in the hole and thus tell you nothing about the location of the target. A good pinpointer will pick up a dime at 1". In actual tests, the Harbor freight $16 pinpointer picked up the dime at 1" the same as the $160 Garrett propointer. I have been using the Harbor Freight pinpointer for over a year with no problems. It is easy to modify. I have added a bright blue LED that lights when it pickes up a target. Just because you paid a lot for it doesn't make it better ! Frank
Frankn.... You are right on the money there ....

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:

I read this post and liked what I saw. I had to runto town and pick up scripts. I stopped at Harbor and picked one up. I haven't gotten to work with it yet, but I'll report back after usig it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Theakiki said:
Frankn said:

I read this post and liked what I saw. I had to runto town and pick up scripts. I stopped at Harbor and picked one up. I haven't gotten to work with it yet, but I'll report back after usig it.
You will like it they work great........ I have the Pro Pointer and the Harbor Freight one also..... And i use them both ............ And the $16.00 Harbor Freight one finds the same things that the Garrett does............ Pinpoints just fine. And has a very nice sheath to carry it on your belt with.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBOElyyUcuQ~~0_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBOElyyUcuQ~~0_3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 236

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Theakiki said:
Frankn said:

You will like it they work great........ I have the Pro Pointer and the Harbor Freight one also..... And i use them both ............ And the $16.00 Harbor Freight one finds the same things that the Garrett does............ Pinpoints just fine. And has a very nice sheath to carry it on your belt with.

I've gone on a few short hunts with the Harbor tool.

I've never used a high-dollar pinpointer, so I can't make the comparison. Compared to the item from Kellyco with the $120 SRP, there is no comparison. This little thing works great! I love the sheath that it came with, and I love the $16.95 price tag! The one criticism I have is that it is very cheaply made (hence the 16.95 price) but apparently it is the casing that is cheap, not the electronic technology.

I have been swinging my MD, and getting a good coin signal, probe around the area with the pinpointer. Get a signal from it, cut about a silver dollar size plug out of the ground with a coin inside! :hello2: Just like I've dreamed of!

I'm grateful for your suggestion as I've been saving up money for a pro-pointer. :icon_sunny:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Theakiki said:
Keppy said:
Theakiki said:
Frankn said:

I've gone on a few short hunts with the Harbor tool.

I've never used a high-dollar pinpointer, so I can't make the comparison. Compared to the item from Kellyco with the $120 SRP, there is no comparison. This little thing works great! I love the sheath that it came with, and I love the $16.95 price tag! The one criticism I have is that it is very cheaply made (hence the 16.95 price) but apparently it is the casing that is cheap, not the electronic technology.

I have been swinging my MD, and getting a good coin signal, probe around the area with the pinpointer. Get a signal from it, cut about a silver dollar size plug out of the ground with a coin inside! :hello2: Just like I've dreamed of!

I'm grateful for your suggestion as I've been saving up money for a pro-pointer. :icon_sunny:
What many have said that the more it cost the better it is ..... But a lot of us know better........... HH......... Well it's made better but does not work better......... But then Kellycos cost a big buck and is junk.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread