Freight Shipping

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a lot of automotive parts and have for a long time, but I've never messed with freight shipping but, I've been thinking about trying fedex freight. What can you guys tell me about sending large items like hoods, doors, etc. or heavy items like transfer cases, front/rearends, etc.?

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heavy item’s should be palletized and secured to it. Lighter items just wrapped in something to protect it. Not a big deal shipping.

You might check freight companies like Estes to compare prices instead of just fedex.
(Disclaimer: I’m affiliated with Estes.)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used fed ex a few times they took 5 times to pick up a scheduled package it was not good.Aside from that I think they ship quick one thing also if you ship say a hood door ect they will ask if you want insurance I got insurance on an item one time it got damaged so I went to make a claim they said we cant cover it because we didnt package it .Then I was like why did you sell me insurance So package very well cause things will get tossed around and dont buy insurance unless they pakage it. You will get discounts from having an account just my 2 cents. (Do you have any (1996-2002) Trans am parts.....Tommy

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy is correct. Both Fed Ex and UPS demand they package the item (for a fee of course), for insurance to be effective.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used fed ex a few times they took 5 times to pick up a scheduled package it was not good.Aside from that I think they ship quick one thing also if you ship say a hood door ect they will ask if you want insurance I got insurance on an item one time it got damaged so I went to make a claim they said we cant cover it because we didnt package it .Then I was like why did you sell me insurance So package very well cause things will get tossed around and dont buy insurance unless they pakage it. You will get discounts from having an account just my 2 cents. (Do you have any (1996-2002) Trans am parts.....Tommy

No Trans Am parts at the moment.

Thanks for the info guys

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
LTL shipping got really expensive when gas prices went up over a decade ago and has been high ever since. The people I know who used to sell a lot of heavier car parts on eBay are back to selling most of them locally instead.

As mentioned above, it helps a lot if you have an account with a freight company. You will have much reduced costs. UPS and FedEx freight are not very good if you are shipping freight routinely.

It also helps if you have a loading dock or a forklift. The liftgate charge around me is anywhere from $50 to $200. When I ship items freight I actually package them myself on my own vehicle (pickup truck, cargo van, box truck) and I drive the first leg to the nearest terminal myself, where a forklift unloads. This saves me the cost of the pickup on my end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread