What's new

Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er

utah hunter

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
724
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I had tossed all my 74-d's and aside as normal to check for double dies after the silver check was finished. I decided it was easiest to use my microscope at 40 power and look for repunched mintmarks on them just for kick like I used to years ago on coins. I know on the 74-d you check the "we trust" for the doubling, but I was still running the whole motto straight across. When I started with the "IN GOD" I immediately knew I had something cool. The GOD was clearly doubled, and it was a doubled die, and not mechanical doubling. I looked closer and the I in IN was doubled. I looked a little further and what do you know the neck was also doubled. I decided to check the chin and it is clearly...TRIPLED. I checked the the mintmark and it is either doubled or repunched. That made a skunk box a little better. The microscope inverts the images, so try not to get dizzy. I don't know if this is even a classified error, and it could be worth some big bucks. Any ideas????
 

Attachments

  • 2500 162.webp
    2500 162.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 2500 082.webp
    2500 082.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 2500 145.webp
    2500 145.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 2500 175.webp
    2500 175.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 2500 177.webp
    2500 177.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 2500 179.webp
    2500 179.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 203
Upvote 0
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

It is interesting anything in the Trust?
 
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

tw656 said:
It is interesting anything in the Trust?

Nothing else doubled(or tripled), just that area. I can't find anything like it on the internet, I might put it on ebay and see what happens
 
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

Is it possible to tell from the picture if it is a Double Die or Strike Doubling? It does seem to have the shelf effect a little. But Im new to all of this.
 
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

It is hard to tell, but the complete seperation of the tripling on the chin clinches everything. Here is a cool article, but even coin "experts" have trouble in this field. You can click on each example to enlarge. http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/OtherFormsOfDoubling.htm
 
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

Sorry to be a pessimist, but to me it looks like strike doubling, if it was a true double die, the double part should have a similar appearance as the regular part where it has a rounded look.

I find coins that have strike doubling all the time now that I understand what it is, it seems pretty common. I originally was fooled by a few of those until I emailed an expert about one with pictures and he explained it to me a bit.

Here is a copy of the email I was sent.

Thanks for the pictures, and they were good enough for me to tell that the 1972 coin you have suffers from mechanical doubling. This type of doubling is pretty typical for the late 60s and into the 70s. If you take a look at the site and the book, you can tell the difference because your coins' doubling is 'flat, shelf like' whereas variety hub doubling is rounded as if there were portions of another hubbing underneath. Sorry to have to tell you that, but I am sure you didn't want to spend any money unnecessarily. Once again, thanks for sending the pics.

In my case it was a 1972 penny and the site referred to was http://www.coppercoins.com
The book being referred to is "Looking Through Lincoln Cents by Charles Daughtrey".
 
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

No problem with pessimism, I welcome it. The complete separation of the doubling with the chin cannot happen with machine doubling. Anacs will have the final say on this one, but this does not look like any of the hundreds of hub doubling coins I have had. My money is on a true double die, but I could be wrong, it did happen once before when I was a teenager ;) Doubt is always good on error coins, people tend to see what they want to see. Here is another chin shot. The chin goes down to the surface of the coin, comes back up to the ridge, and drops back down to the coin surface again.
 

Attachments

  • 2500 326.webp
    2500 326.webp
    14 KB · Views: 166
Re: Fridays 2 boxes, 1 40%er and 1 1974-d.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN

Looks like mechanical doubling to me.

The fact that the die seems to be in an advanced state of wear (towards the end of its life) and that the coin isn't in that great of shape, is probably causing some confusion. But, your images clearly show that the mint mark has some doubling, and because in 1974 they didn't have the mint mark on the hub means that any doubled die should not have any doubling on the mint mark.

Unless it's a rare, doubled die AND re-punched mintmark (only case I know if is a 1960-D cent), but I don't think that's the case.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom