From a Pile of Parts..to...

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
This is the man that took on me on my first flight a long time ago, at which time he shut the engine off and handed the controls to me. It was an old J-2, I believe, canvas wings, two tandem seats and stick controls.

From a pile of parts to an award at the largest aircraft convention in the country for a rare aircraft.

His 1958 Champion Aeronca 7FC competed with 60 other Champion aircrafts in the contemporary category.

He brought home the Contemporary Award for Best Champion at the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual air show, the 2009 EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

It is one of only 12 still capable of flying. He found the parts from an old tire shop back in 2006. When he bought the plane parts for about $6,000 from the shop in Cameron, W.Va, it was a complete basket case. Seven months later, his two-seater 1958 Champion Aeronca is worth around $60,000.

The plane is painted in bright shades of Santa Fe Red and Vesta White, with a sunburst design on the tail.

While the Champion 7FC is a classic aircraft, the paint job is not consistent with the design or colors of its era, so it was placed in the contemporary category.

"I've owned eight different planes in my flying career, and this one is the most fun to fly."

Congrats JB! When are going up again? :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• JBs 1958 Champion Aeronca 7FC.jpg
    JBs 1958 Champion Aeronca 7FC.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 216
  • JB in the seat.jpg
    JB in the seat.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 207

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Beautiful Airplane :icon_thumright: Nothing like riding in a lite plane. You get a real feel of flying! My first small plane ride was in my neighbors 1954 Piper Tripacer, Loved it :coffee2: Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread