From a USA WWII crash site. Any idea about these parts?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first item is a propeller spline/shaft.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2-Figure1-1.png
    2-Figure1-1.png
    319.1 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please provide the numbers on the parts and the location, if possible.

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that shaft from an actual crash site? The splines, threads and bolt holes are all completely intact and in pristine condition (minus the surface rust) plus it's missing any of the hardware that would have been attached to it (blades, bolts, nuts etc) and much of that would have still been on it in a crash though quite mangled. More consistent with a discarded part from an old airfield.

Do you have any pictures of the actual crash site you could share?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many WW2 crash sites in Italy. Here is a 1944 pic from my grandfather. B-17 crash lands on runway in So. Italy

js129.jpg . Gary

Attachments

• js128.jpg
    js128.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many WW2 crash sites in Italy. Here is a 1944 pic from my grandfather. B-17 crash lands on runway in So. Italy

View attachment 1928697 . Gary

There's many WWII crash sites the world over, no doubt. My question was on this specific part, the propeller hub shaft, it is not consistent with a part recovered at a crashed plane site, hence why i asked for a picture of the actual crashed plane and site.

You wouldn't find the propeller shaft hub completely disassembled at a plane crash site with no damage to it, the forces aren't great enough to remove the propeller hub nor the main transfer shaft from this part, and if by some miracle there were, there would be damage to the splines and threads from shearing off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last item appears to have a manufacturer logo on it as 'LM' in a circle.

Logo.jpg

I don't know who that is (except it's not Lockheed Martin, and in any case they didn't exist under that name until 1995).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don! Is always a please read about you. Again many thanks for your past helps!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I referr what people in the area said me. I have not photos of crash because people take at their home these parts...
However is also possible them came from a old airfield. There are some photo of Salerno aifield during WWII with damaged JU88 aircrafts....

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I referr what people in the area said me. I have not photos of crash because people take at their home these parts...
However is also possible them came from a old airfield. There are some photo of Salerno aifield during WWII with damaged JU88 aircrafts....

Ah ok, thats what i suspected. The first post made one believe you stumbled upon an old WWII crash site with an actual crashed plane lying there from WWII from which you brought home parts from the crash site.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions