Frustrated!

A

AlbaGuBrath

Christmas brought my very first metal detector, a White's DFX. This is a hobby I have wanted to take up as long as I could remember, this is the first time (kids grown and flown the coop, mortgage paid off, car payments gone) and having saved up all year that I have been in a position to follow what I expected to be a enjoyable, interesting and exciting pastime. I did not expect it to be the most frustrating, hair pulling and bad temper inducing experiences I have ever endured ( bar teenage kids of course ;) )

So why the frustration?

I am by nature a patient person and take things slow and carefully, I fully understand anything new is a learning curve, so, having been out in the garden practising since I got it, reading this and other websites and I am going to order the suggested books. I began to understand its workings, I also began to realise something was not right. Is it me? Is it the machine? Is it the area I'm practising in? The problem is this, I fire up the machine, go through all the initial sequences, air balance etc. I find the detector has no hum, has a constant reading of +95 on the bar chart and screams intermittingly whether on the ground or not. I tried the suggested quarter and ring pull on the ground, both have so far registered as everything from a penny to a silver dollar to trash to no reading at all. I thought maybe it was because they were on the surface and too close to the coil, so my wife buried a quarter in a marked out area, she pushed it under the ground to a depth of around 4" with a screwdriver so as to leave no tell tail signs of where its location was. Out I went DFX in hand and although I knew it was my quarter it was going to be a find after all, I felt quite a buzz.............Now I know the more experienced of you have already worked out what happened next and you're right, neither could I find it but my wife only had a rough idea where she punched it underground. So as you can all see, I'm losing treasure not finding it. The only time I have heard a constant tone from this machine is when I found a rusty circular saw blade about two inches below the surface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I turned to whisky but it didn't help. Should I take up golf? Also, as it's raining today and I want to keep practising is this thing waterproof?

Thanks for reading this far
Fraser

Upvote 0
Did you try contacting Whites or your dealer to ask them about these problems?

TreasureTales said:
Did you try contacting Whites or your dealer to ask them about these problems?

I wasn't sure if I was suffering from Newbieitis, Homer Simpson syndrome or a similar complaint or that someone else may have experienced these problems so thought I'd ask opinions on here first. I also suffer from that male attitude "Are we lost? Should I ask someone?" "Of course not, I'll get us there." If it wasn't for the excitment I felt for this subject and the dejection I feel at the moment, I'd still be a lurker and not a poster.

I will however bite the bullet and give them a call, I'll let you know how I get on.

Fraser,

First of all, rest assured we all went through trials and tribulations when entering this hobby. As far as your problems are going, make sure that all connections (such as coil to detector) are sound. You mentioned that it the readings were all over the place when you tried to detect the coins on the ground but did you try holdling the coil in the air and letting your wife (without any jewelry on her hand) wave a quarter, dime, nickel and penny across the coil to see what it registered? This way there are no ground conditions to mess with the detection process and you can tell whether it recognizes the items properly or is acting erratically.

Farmercal said:
Fraser,

First of all, rest assured we all went through trials and tribulations when entering this hobby. As far as your problems are going, make sure that all connections (such as coil to detector) are sound. You mentioned that it the readings were all over the place when you tried to detect the coins on the ground but did you try holdling the coil in the air and letting your wife (without any jewelry on her hand) wave a quarter, dime, nickel and penny across the coil to see what it registered? This way there are no ground conditions to mess with the detection process and you can tell whether it recognizes the items properly or is acting erratically.

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, it's much appreciated and I don't want to harp on about it, but I was seriously like a child this Christmas and all the excitment and enjoyment that brings. Your advice also registers as a sound and common sense (told you I might have a DOH! moment in all this ;D ). As soon as she gets home from work I'll try it. I did all the connection checks and the reset suggested in the manual with the same results.

Thanks again
Fraser

NorCal 6er said:
what preset program are you using?

Joe

I have tried the coin and the coin and jewelry settings.

I called White's and they are kindly sending out a newbie type manual that may help me out, which I think is very nice of them. They said it may or may not be a technical problem but to go through this manual and try out the suggestions contained first.

Fraser

AlbaGuBrath said:
NorCal 6er said:
what preset program are you using?

Joe

I have tried the coin and the coin and jewelry settings.

I called White's and they are kindly sending out a newbie type manual that may help me out, which I think is very nice of them. They said it may or may not be a technical problem but to go through this manual and try out the suggestions contained first.

Fraser

hang in there alba. its not supposed to be this hard, something is up. either the machine isn't set up right, or the thing is malfunctioning. whites is a great company that will stand behind their machines. if something is wrong don't worry, they will fix it. keep in mind that that DFX is one of the most advanced machines on the market. its going to be a lot harder to learn for a newbie than a model designed for newbies. just methodically rule out that the machine isn't working right, and go from there.good luck with it!

also, if it hasnt been mentioned already, try lowering the sensativity setting on the machine and see if that helps it to run more stable.

While I don't own that machine a couple of thoughts in general, power lines can cause some trouble. I hunted a playground area by a firehouse that normally is fine, but a few weeks ago my display was jumping all over, so powerful radio signals could be a problem. Like wise under ground pipes and concrete storm water culverts.
Have you take the unit anyplace else other than your yard, maybe zip out to a quite rural park. Might be worth a try.

I agree with Hollow, something is wrong. check your connections, are you using headphones? test them if so. The pre set programs are pretty much turn on and go. It sounds to me you've got a problem with the equipment. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

kenb

Thank you so very much for all the advice, "See asking does help, saves time and frustrations!" It's cheered me up considerably, just knowing for certain that something isn't quite right feels like a discovery in itself and normal childlike excitement has been fully restored.

I am so glad I asked, only took me four days ;D

In answer to the headphones, I'm not using any, I was going to use my free $200 dollars from White's to get some. Is this a good idea? What else should I get? They don't sell golf clubs or whisky. ;)

I'll definately let you know how I get on and how I'll display my first find of value.........Even if it is my own quarter!

Regards and thanks again,
Fraser

This is from the White's dealer location page:

HOBBYTOWN SAN ANTONIO 4.1 miles
Click here to visit dealer web page
1201 AUSTIN HWY- STE 102
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78209
210-829-8697

HARRYS COIN & JEWELRY 4.9 miles
Click here to visit dealer web page
6336 BANDERA RD #A
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78238
210-684-6326

Some of these White's dealers are great guys and you never know if they might not be willing to give you a hand to sort things out.

If they are not interested, no harm done, there's really no risk in asking.

Best of luck and hang in there. It is a great hobby and the White's detectors have a good reputation.

Ok, here is something to do, check the batteries. If one is bad or you inserted one wrong it will cause this problem. If you or a neighbor has a security fence or underground dog fence, it will cause this also.

If all else fails, at least you bought a major brand and Whites will get it going.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Sandman said:
Ok, here is something to do, check the batteries. If one is bad or you inserted one wrong it will cause this problem. If you or a neighbor has a security fence or underground dog fence, it will cause this also.

If all else fails, at least you bought a major brand and Whites will get it going.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Dear Sandman

You raise a very good point. When I got the constant tone with the saw blade I was using the AA back up battery pack that came with the MD, I couldn't wait to use it! I was charging the rechargeable one in accordance with the manual. Since then I have used the rechargeable pack and encountered these anomalies. Is there anyway of testing the rechargeable pack? Is there anyway of looking in this pack? It is identical to the backup. I will do the old switcheroo test and post my findings!

Fraser

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Now here's a happy man. Guess who found his Quarter? You guys really know your stuff! I changed the battery packs over, tried a DIME in the air. The dime bit was suggested by whites. The machine emitted the most beautiful whine I've ever heard. Next I tried the dime on the ground, same result, targeted it, beautiful. Switched batteries back to the rechargeables, again the results were music to my ears.

So the ultimate test:- Where's my quarter? One sweep, I tell you! One sweep! BINGO! One quarter returned to its rightful owner.

Again I want to thank you all. Especially Sandman, I think you hit the nail on the head. A bad connection per chance?

Right who's up for finding J. Bowie's cave/mine? ;)

Regards Fraser THM (Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire) ;D ;D ;) 8)

Hi AlbaGuBrath

Happy new Year to you and yours!

I am hoping that your Whites DFX problems have been solved. I had a similar problem with my first DFX. It turned out that one of the wires inside the connector for my standard coil was loose. I ended up sending the entire unit back to kellyCo as the unit was received damaged (Had a dent in the side of the unit).

You asked about using head phones, I say yes get a pair and use them. Headphones will help you hear those very faint signals, and if you are TH'ing near a road you will be able to hear when you hit a target. Whites will take care of correcting the problem you have and will make you happy.

If you have a Whites dealer near you I would take it to them and see what they can determine is the problem.

I also had a similar problem with my Whites XLT and what it turned out to be was the toggle switch was pulled down instead of back towards the handle. The battery pack problem is a possibility but just a long shot. If you have the same problem with both the standard and rechargeable then I would say that is not the problem. Trying the unit in a different place may work if it is overhead or buried cable/wires.

I wish you were near me so I could give it a once over and compare the results with my DFX.
If Whites tells you what the problem is please let us all know.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

I understand your frustration. those digital detectors have alot of problems. let me tell you all those bells and whistles on them things are just needless. there confusing I had an xlt dug more false holes than I'll ever count. when you run over a target alot of times it well give you half a dozen readings. And when you get the item out 95! iron you want a good detector get a whites 5900di pro sl it has manual ground balance with a nice gauge it's a tuff machine for relics coins ect. and a used one well not break your wallet. about 350.00 0r less whites went to this digital stuff to many things to go wrong. I would be real ticked off to pay $900 or more for a machine and it not work correctly. It's happened to me . My friend had an mxt and sometimes when he turned it on the numbers would look chinese had to turn it on and off a couple of times to get it right. go to yahoo and type in problems with dfx or xlt may help . the hardest thing about the 5900 is ground balancing it. but it took me a few minutes and I had it licked and have kept it for 12 years never a problem with it. good luck By the way it's not you it's the detector.

Alba, good to know your problems with the DFX have been resolved. White's is a great brand and should give you many years of detecting fun. Please post pix of all the interesting stuff you find with it. Happy Hunting and Happy New Year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back