Frustrating few hours but a silver saves the day

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
A few hours out on a new permission today. Buttons and crusty old coppers where plentiful. On the plus side though, it indicates that this is virgin pasture that a detectorist hasn't visited before. I must have dug between 15 and 20 buttons, just two of them being half decent, an old silver plated livery button and an early 20th century police button.
Just as I'd given up hope and was on my way back to the car the metal detecting God's decided to bless me with a tiny silver coin. Really pleased with it too as its my first ever James II. (1687)

Attachments

• JamesII.jpg
    JamesII.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 72
  • JamesII2.jpg
    JamesII2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Buttons.jpg
    Buttons.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 33

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few hours out on a new permission today. Buttons and crusty old coppers where plentiful. On the plus side though, it indicates that this is virgin pasture that a detectorist hasn't visited before. I must have dug between 15 and 20 buttons, just two of them being half decent, an old silver plated livery button and an early 20th century police button.
Just as I'd given up hope and was on my way back to the car the metal detecting God's decided to bless me with a tiny silver coin. Really pleased with it too as its my first ever James II. (1687)
Wow, beautiful silver...I love the OTWBTTC endings...and a nice button to boot...well done!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
'Cracking' coin! ( I love that term)
It's a challenge to find those tiny silver coins you have there..but on a new undetected permission you should go home with at least one..you got the first and the best one no doubt
Great going!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did better than you thought, you have a rare early Militia Button (Officer type). Looks to be a CL & not on this site;
The L, might be Loyalist, but the 'C' would normally be the place name. Worth researching, some of these are still unknown, or at least unpublished.

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
You did better than you thought, you have a rare early Militia Button (Officer type). Looks to be a CL & not on this site;
The L, might be Loyalist, but the 'C' would normally be the place name. Worth researching, some of these are still unknown, or at least unpublished.
It's right there pal. Thank you very much. Craven militia. I was detecting in Craven soit would make sense.
when I found it I did think it looked familiar. Just had a rummage through my worth saving button box and indeed I've found one before. Though where exactly ive no idea. Certainly not from that permission though I do go to one only half a mile or so away. Plenty of Hammies over there too, let's hope the earlier coins spread like the newer buttons did

Attachments

• Cl.jpg
    Cl.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Great job on the old silver.
Had a brief look into the buttons. They are from the Craven legion formed in 1803 due to the threat of invasion by Napoleon.
For sure now I know the larger button came from that permission down the road. Which got me then thinking about how many pistol balls ive found on that permission. A ridiculous amount, I wasn't actually counting but I've recovered about 100 I reckon. All uniform in size. Not particularly large weight g about 10-15 grams.
Would this kind of shot been in use during the Napoleonic era? Would make sense that the meadow at the side of an old farmstead might have been used for practise by this militia, The Craven Legion

Attachments

• Shot.jpg
    Shot.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 2
  • huddersfield.jpg
    huddersfield.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's right there pal. Thank you very much. Craven militia. I was detecting in Craven soit would make sense.
when I found it I did think it looked familiar. Just had a rummage through my worth saving button box and indeed I've found one before. Though where exactly ive no idea. Certainly not from that permission though I do go to one only half a mile or so away. Plenty of Hammies over there too, let's hope the earlier coins spread like the newer buttons did
Didn't look well enough (too quickly).
However, your two are Officer buttons & there are none of those on the site, only the Enlisted 'Pewter' pattern. Officers Buttons are rarer for oblivious reason's, as there was less of them.
Its your best find of the day, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread